The BLACTIVECOOL Fan, Hardware and Assembly
Once I take the fan assembly out of the box I noticed the brilliance of the black nickel coating applied to the entirety of the metal components of this fan. The clear blades of the 60mm fans offer good airflow while still allowing a look through them while spinning.
The fan assembly is made of two main pieces of steel that sandwich the fans. The fans are mounted securely to the bottom half, while bolts travel through both the steel and the fans in the middle. Both fans are wired together and then one wire continues away from the fans, sheathed, with a 3-pin connection for power.
Looking under the BLACKTIVECOOL fan, you can see this cooler was designed with strength in mind. Not only is the metal thick enough on its own to hold together and not create a vibration, but Crucial adds an "I" brace to the middle to make real sure the fan assembly is as solid as a rock.
Packed inside the box with the fan you will locate both the instructional sheet along with a white cardboard box containing the hardware.
In the box you will find both sides to the cooler, four thumb screws for securing the sides to the main fan section, and a 4-pin Molex adapter for power if you don't have an open fan header on the motherboard.
Something I haven't seen before on any cooler I have owned is that Crucial adds a layer of high density foam to help ease the stress induced on the locks for the memory that they clamp on to.
Even the outside of the legs are thought of, and Crucial has provided a plastic sticker to the outside of the cooler. This way if it happens to touch the VGA, it won't short out to the card. I have had boards where this gap is very close, and I had concerns of this. Crucial takes all the worry out of the memory cooling game with these two simple features.
The other feature I liked about this fan assembly is the adjustable legs. If you want to run this fan over Tracers it doesn't need to be as high as with the Ballistix I have here. Simply slide the leg up the side and shorten the assembly to the desired height for your memory. To clear the kit I was supplied, the top setting is needed for clearance.
One last look at the assembled cooler before I install it and bring on the testing!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 3 [Crucial Ballistix BL2KIT25664FN2139 4GB PC3-17000]
- Page 4 [The Crucial Ballistix Active Cooling Fan Packaging]
- Page 5 [The BLACTIVECOOL Fan, Hardware and Assembly]
- Page 6 [Testing and the Ballistix MOD Utility]
- Page 7 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Qualcomm Snapdagon 835 powers LTE-capable Surface Pro
- FSP will show off a watercooled PSU at Computex
- R.I.P. Sir Roger 'James Bond' Moore
- AMD delayed Radeon RX Vega until July?
- Huawei announces affordable Honor 6A smartphone
- Alienware 15 R3 Laptop Storage Performance Investigation
- ASUS RT-AC1900p Wireless Router Review
- ASUS RT-AC1900p Wireless Router Review
- GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK with SSD M.2 Plextor M8PeG 256gb. low speed after shut down
- Prey Review: Dark Stars, Darker Thoughts
- Western Digital sets new standard with latest generation in popular HGST-brand Ultrastar SAS SSD family
- AMD raises expectations for server performance, unveils EPYC processor brand for the datacenter
- HighPoint's SSD7101 PCIe board-sized drive series integrate Samsung 960 NVMe SSDs to deliver groundbreaking performance over 12GB/s
- Micron accelerates all-flash storage speed, performance and value with new flexible petabyte-scale enterprise data center solution
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 and 630 mobile platforms drive advanced photography, enhanced gaming, integrated connectivity and machine learning