Specifications, Pricing and Availability
When we last looked at ioSafe, capacities were limited to 1.5TB and connectivity was limited to USB 2.0 (around 32MB/s of bandwidth). The ioSafe SoloPRO ushers in USB 3.0, the new king of the connectivity hill. Despite GIGABYTE's best efforts, not everyone has USB 3.0 in their computer just yet and for those with a PC older than six months ioSafe has an eSATA / USB 2.0 model; the one we are looking at today. To go with the connectivity upgrade ioSafe has bumped capacities up to 2TB and I would be willing to bet a 3TB model will emerge before or around January, just in time for CES.
Of course, the ioSafe isn't about connectivity or storage capacity; it is all at security and peace of mind. As we'd shown on the previous page, the ioSafe Solo and SoloPRO can withstand temperatures up to 1550 degrees F for up to one half hour. There aren't too many house fires that get up to those temperatures.
Fire is one thing, but an even more destructive force and much more occurring comes from water. H2O; it gives us life, but if you live by a river or have a raising water table it makes a mess of things just as fast as fire. The SoloPRO can stay submerged in 10 feet of water for up to 72 hours.
At this point some of you might be asking 'what if'? - Good question, and this is where ioSafe really goes above and beyond what anyone would really expect. If you have a disaster and find that your data is not as it should be, your drive is corrupt, not powering on or just all FUBAR, ioSafe will take care of it no questions asked. I'm not a lawyer and don't want to inject any words into this warranty, so here is what they say on their website.
The ioSafe Solo Data Recovery Service (DRS) provides a one-time use, no questions asked data and hardware recovery service. For any loss, no matter the reason. Whether you're a victim of a drive failure or your child throws your drive in the family swimming pool - we've got you covered.
With the ioSafe Solo DRS you get to enjoy the peace of mind that comes from knowing your data is protected by the best data recovery service in the industry.
- One time use, no questions asked, data recovery service
- Up to $1000 for forensic data recovery
- Global, mail-in repair coverage with free shipping
- Direct access to ioSafe's experts - one point of contact
- Replacement hardware pre-loaded with recovered data
You can read the full terms and conditions at their website.
As you can imagine, this type of service after the sale doesn't come cheap; it's also the single area that I think ioSafe can change some aspects of the agreement to enable more people to afford this level of protection. Before we get into all that, let's look at the pricing as it is now.
As you might know, we always try to use Newegg for our pricing data, but the SoloPRO is so new it hasn't hit the 'egg yet. Newegg does list the ioSafe Solo, but the prices are the same or nearly the same as those on ioSafe's website. The SoloPRO is available in USB 2.0 / eSATA or USB 3.0. There is not a cost difference between the two interfaces. As tested, our sample SoloPRO has a cost of 249.99 USD. This is either eSATA / USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 paired with a 1TB HDD. Moving up to a 1.5TB drive will cost you an additional 70 USD and a 2TB drive raises the cost 170 USD, a total of 419.99.
Now for the tricky part; the Disaster Recovery Service (DRS) AKA get your butt out of a jam service. The standard out of the box coverage is one year and it is included with the initial purchase. You can pay an additional 49.99 and move this service out to three years and for an additional 99.99 you get five years of coverage. Maxing the coverage and the capacity out gives us a total of 519.99 USD. That's a lot of money right off the bat. I would really love to see ioSafe come up with a subscription service for the additional coverage that can be paid yearly. In the long run it may even be more profitable for the company and allow those struck by these difficult times the ability to afford world class protection.
I must have rubbed up against someone with that liberal gene today or something. Let's take a look at the ioSafe SoloPRO.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [The Packaging]
- Page 4 [The ioSafe SoloPRO]
- Page 5 [Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - HD Tune Pro]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - AS SSD]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Dell unveils a new 27-inch QHD G-Sync monitor, priced at $799
- 'The Iron Giant' theatrical re-release gets first trailer
- Apple already putting pressure on Fitbit in wearables market
- Charge ALL the Things With a 4-Port USB Hub
- Trying to prevent drones from dropping contraband into prisons is hard
- Buffalo WXR-1900DHP DD-WRT NXT AC1900 Wireless Router Review
- ASRock Extreme4 x99 boot failure with more than 2 G.SKILL F4-3000C15D-16GRBB
- [Share]Lorkag GOP updater tool for AMD and NVIDIA VBIOS
- AMD Radeon R9 Nano Preview - Fiji and HBM Go Under the Shrink Ray
- Win7 wont install on AM1A-M system
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015
- SilverStone Accessories - Expansion Cards - ECM20