Using PowerStrip, we were able to overclock the card to a core/memory clock speed of 335/585MHz using default cooling. This is quite an impressive overclock from the default speeds of 280/520 and with a little bit of extra cooling; the card should hit a 600MHz memory speed quite easily.
Overall, we can't help but be slightly disappointed with the Prolink GeForce4 MX440-8X. Although it is packed with plenty of free software and features, its lack of DirectX 8.1 support greatly holds it back as far as performance is concerned. With many current and future games being based around DirectX 8.1, this could prove to be quite a significant problem for many of you.
At a price of around $399 AU ($199 US roughly), the card is quite cheap. However, considering the fact that an ATi Radeon 9000 card can be purchased for just $377 AU ($188 US roughly) and features full DirectX 8.1 support, it is impossible for us to recommend the MX440-8X. The bottom line is, the chipset's lack of DirectX 8.1 support has spoiled an otherwise superb card.
Excellent software bundle
Great overclocking results
Low performance compared to the ATi Radeon 9000
Lack of DirectX 8.1 support
Rating - 7/10
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- NieR: Automata PC release date 'accidentally' revealed
- Nintendo Switch launch game exceeds console's storage
- AMD will dominate the mid-range with Ryzen 7 1700X
- AMD's new Ryzen 7 1800X: 8C/16T @ 4GHz for $499
- AMD's new Ryzen CPU hits 52% IPC improvement
- Lian Li A61 5.25 devices
- Z270 Supercarrier - blackscreen 09/d0, cannot switch to backup BIOS
- E5450 oveclock on EP45-DS3L
- H97M Pro4 - Intel Smart Connect Technology is running in Win10 but not in Win7
- (GA X99 Designare) Anyone using a Beta BIOS?
- Innovation and competition return to high-performance PCs March 2nd with worldwide AMD Ryzen 7 availability
- Final Fantasy awarded Guinness World Records title for most prolific role-playing game
- InstaVR launches publishing compatibility with HTC VIVE, cnabling companies to create high quality long-form VR video applications
- Transcend announces Ultimate UHS Video Speed Class 30 (V30) microSD cards to support 4K Ultra HD video recording
- Final Fantasy XIV Fan Fest culminates with the journey eastward in Stormblood