Specifications, Pricing and Availability
There really isn't a whole lot to discuss here. Once you see 4x SATA SSDs everything else just kind of blurs away in the background. The thing is these are not just four regular SSDs, these are SandForce controllers, the same ones used in the Vertex 2 and Agility 2, two of the highest rated SSDs on the market today. If you really want to get technical, the RevoDrive X2 is essentially four Vertex 2 drives, paired up by twos on uncut PCBs. What is throwing us off here is the name, X2 when there are actually four SSDs.
With capacities ranging from 100GB to a massive 960GB, the OCZ RevoDrive X2 covers a very wide range. There are two distinct performance classes, though. The smaller versions of the X2, 100 and 160GB have a read speed rating of 740MB/s and a write speed of 680MB/s. The larger drives; 240, 360, 480 and 960GB fit into category two. The read speeds are the same, 740MB/s, but the write speeds are bumped up to 720MB/s. IOPS changes as well; 100K IOPS for the two smaller RevoDrive X2's and 120K IOPS for the larger. I don't think anyone is going to say anything negative about 100,000 IOPS, though.
Carried over from the original RevoDrive is the boot option. Enthusiasts want to boot their operating system from their super-fast SSD and some competing PCIe SSDs simply don't allow that to happen. At this point in time what fun is a fast SSD if you can't use it to boot your operating system at near instant speeds?
The OCZ RevoDrive X2 is already available in the wild. OCZ even goes as far as lists direct links on their product page for where to purchase the RevoDrive X2, and the links are divided up into capacity categories. Luckily Newegg carries nearly all of the capacities and we are able to compare pricing there for both the RevoDrive and the RevoDrive X2. In some of the capacities there is even some direct competition between the original and the X2. At first we had a bit of sticker shock at some of the X2 prices, but quickly remembered what we were told from some SSD manufacturers about how much each SandForce controller chip actually costs them and things started to make sense.
When it comes to pricing, the RevoDrive X2 breaks down like this; 100GB for 459.00, 240GB (as tested today) for 679.00, 480GB for 1439 USD all at the time of writing. Newegg also has two direct matches in capacity from the original RevoDrive; 240GB at 519.99 and the 480GB RevoDrive at 1249.00 USD. As you can see, there is a price premium for the X2 models, but considering the additional PCB, flash and controllers, this was to be expected.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Sony shipped about 60 million PS4s
- Next-gen PS4 coming in 2018, analyst predicts
- Acer's new laptop rocks unreleased NVIDIA graphics card
- AMD Radeon RX Vega loses to GTX 1080 at 1080p
- Halo 6's 'compelling' story will focus on Master Chief
- ASUS USB-AC53 Nano AC1200 Wireless Adapter Review
- GIGABYTE Xtreme Gaming XTC700 CPU Cooler Review
- ASRock 990fx Extreme9 and NVMe support
- HDD to SSD
- Lenovo IdeaCentre Y710 Cube Gaming PC Review
- Get ready for Intel Optane memory with ASRock 200 series motherboards!
- Acer unleashes the Predator Triton 700, a thin yet powerful gaming notebook without compromise
- Acer's new Predator monitors with quantum dot technology deliver spectacular gameplay experiences
- Acer expands its gaming notebook line with the powerful Predator Helios 300
- Western Digital ships fourth-generation Helium Hard Drive platform with Ultrastar He12 12TB advanced storage hard drives