Taking A Closer Look
- Package Contents
The board comes packaged in a nicely designed blue, black and white box. Inside the box is a detailed User's Manual, two IDE cables, one floppy cable, a driver CD and a USB expansion header that enables the two extra USB ports. Abit also includes three pieces of software on the driver CD: Adobe Acrobat Reader, Norton AntiVirus 2002 and an Abit Hardware Monitor.
This is not the most elaborate software bundle we have seen packaged with a motherboard, however, you must remember that Abit is targeting the enthusiast market with this board and many enthusiasts are most likely to already own this software, and are just looking for a cheap, high performance motherboard - without the bells and whistles.
- Layout & Features
The Abit SR7-8X features a slot layout of 1 AGP, 5 PCI and 3 DDR DIMM slots. Most of Abit's Socket478 motherboards, except their MAX series, of course, feature a similar slot layout to the SR7-8X and the lack of ISA, CNR and AMR slots shouldn't be a problem for many of you as devices requiring these slots became obsolete long, long ago.
The ATX power header has been smartly placed under the CPU socket. This is a great position for the power header because unlike previous board layouts, you are not required to run the thick power cable over your heatsink/fan unit, restricting airflow. The IDE and Floppy connectors were also smartly placed, allowing easy installation of drives once the board has been installed into your PC.
The Northbridge is cooled by a green passive heatsink, which is quite unusual of Abit as they often have an active cooler attached to the Northbridge on most of their motherboards. My guess is that it ran cool enough without a fan attached and besides, I'm sure most of you can do without the added noise anyway.
The board features a 10/100 LAN port enabled through a Realtek RTL8100B controller. This should come in very handy to many of you and from our internal testing, the controller actually performs quite admirably, even against PCI solutions. Another feature the SR7-8X touts is an AC'97 audio controller. Providing only 2-channel audio, its sound quality is no where near as good as what you would be getting from a PCI audio solution, however, it is certainly sufficient for general windows use.
It was slightly disappointing to see the lack of RAID and firewire support, even though the board's Soutbridge supports these two features. However, this makes it quite clear that Abit is targeting the value market with this board.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Abit SR7-8X - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Abit SR7-8X - Page 2 [Specifications]
- Abit SR7-8X - Page 3 [Package, Layout & Features]
- Abit SR7-8X - Page 4 [Test System & SiSoft Sandra]
- Abit SR7-8X - Page 5 [System Productivity]
- Abit SR7-8X - Page 6 [Gaming Benchmarks]
- Abit SR7-8X - Page 7 [Overclocking & Conclusion]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Das Keyboard takes $20 off keyboards, $0 shipping for holiday sales
- Remedy has finished the 'shivering' end scene in Quantum Break
- Razer injects chromatic flavor into Lenovo's new gaming PC lineup
- NVIDIA's GeForce GTX 900 series price drops for the holidays
- Rumor: Sony unlocks PS4's seventh core to boost performance
- Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide Graphics Performance Tweak Guide
- NEed help setting bios
- Sharp GX-BT7 2.1-Channel Wireless Bluetooth Speaker Review
- D-Link DCS-2630L 1080p Ultra-Wide View IP Wi-Fi Camera Review
- ID-Cooling Frostflow 240L CPU Liquid Cooler Review
- BRAVEN Balance, the Active Lifestyle Bluetooth Speaker Now Available
- COGITO FIT WINS DESIGN FOR ASIA AWARD
- SP/ Silicon Power Announces Flagship CompactFlash Memory Card - Superior CF 1100X Born For Ultimate Performance
- Team Group Announces Neptune Gaming SO-DIMM Memory
- Cooltek Announces the Skall Series ATX Mid-tower Chassis