The ASRock X58 Extreme6 is one of those boards that stands out because of the bold design and feature set. I mean, come on, six SATA 3.0 ports on an Intel board?! That is just nuts, but to add in six USB 3.0 ports as well? They have managed to do this and, as far as we can tell, have not hurt the basic operation of the board.
When SATA 3.0 and USB 3.0 were hitting the market we were told that on the X58 chipset there were enough PCIe lanes to handle the extra load from a set of USB and SATA 3.0 controllers. This means that with the extra lanes from the PLX bridge we saw, the X58 Extreme6 should be able to handle the extra load.
Of course, we were not able to test with Tri SLI or Tri Crossfire and multiple USB or SATA 3.0 devices, so there are some questions remaining on this. However, from what we are seeing the X58 Extreme6 is still a very capable motherboard. Although we did note some memory performance issues (it is only a little below average for the X58 and 980X), we feel that ASRock can easily fix these with a BIOS update, or you can try and tweak the RAM timings on your own with the P1.00 BIOS.
We saw very little issues with gaming, or any other subsystems on the X58 Extreme6. In fact, the X58 Extreme6 looks like it would be a very competent gaming platform. With the way the PCIe slots are spaced you can run Tri SLI or Crossfire X with some good air flow between the GPUs. With a price tag of $234.99 at NewEgg.com you really are getting a good product for your money.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Konami developers didn't take holidays to get MGS V on PC earlier
- Survive 'The Walking Dead' in our latest Blu-ray giveaway
- Mortal Kombat X cancelled for the Xbox 360 and PS3
- Grand Theft Auto V 'ENBSeries' 4K screenshots will blow you away
- Just two of Intel's new Skylake CPUs are unlocked for overclocking
- H97 boards, graphics cards and CPUs running hotter than on Z97 boards
- New network adapter making graphics card fail.
- x99 Extreme 4/3.1 Red Light + No Display
- Build Advice End of 2015 ASUS X99-A/USB 3.1
- X99 Extreme 6ac eSATA
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015
- SilverStone Accessories - Expansion Cards - ECM20