The ASRock X58 Extreme6 is one of those boards that stands out because of the bold design and feature set. I mean, come on, six SATA 3.0 ports on an Intel board?! That is just nuts, but to add in six USB 3.0 ports as well? They have managed to do this and, as far as we can tell, have not hurt the basic operation of the board.
When SATA 3.0 and USB 3.0 were hitting the market we were told that on the X58 chipset there were enough PCIe lanes to handle the extra load from a set of USB and SATA 3.0 controllers. This means that with the extra lanes from the PLX bridge we saw, the X58 Extreme6 should be able to handle the extra load.
Of course, we were not able to test with Tri SLI or Tri Crossfire and multiple USB or SATA 3.0 devices, so there are some questions remaining on this. However, from what we are seeing the X58 Extreme6 is still a very capable motherboard. Although we did note some memory performance issues (it is only a little below average for the X58 and 980X), we feel that ASRock can easily fix these with a BIOS update, or you can try and tweak the RAM timings on your own with the P1.00 BIOS.
We saw very little issues with gaming, or any other subsystems on the X58 Extreme6. In fact, the X58 Extreme6 looks like it would be a very competent gaming platform. With the way the PCIe slots are spaced you can run Tri SLI or Crossfire X with some good air flow between the GPUs. With a price tag of $234.99 at NewEgg.com you really are getting a good product for your money.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Halo 6's 'compelling' story will focus on Master Chief
- AMD Radeon RX Vega bundled with Quake Champions
- Nintendo won't be at E3 2017
- AI to replace over 50% of ALL jobs in the next 10 years
- Acer Predator X27 gaming monitor: 4K, 144Hz, HDR, G-Sync
- Cutting LED-Strips - LED50RGB-2
- ASUS USB-AC53 Nano AC1200 Wireless Adapter Review
- GIGABYTE Xtreme Gaming XTC700 CPU Cooler Review
- ASRock 990fx Extreme9 and NVMe support
- HDD to SSD
- Get ready for Intel Optane memory with ASRock 200 series motherboards!
- Acer unleashes the Predator Triton 700, a thin yet powerful gaming notebook without compromise
- Acer's new Predator monitors with quantum dot technology deliver spectacular gameplay experiences
- Acer expands its gaming notebook line with the powerful Predator Helios 300
- Western Digital ships fourth-generation Helium Hard Drive platform with Ultrastar He12 12TB advanced storage hard drives