Over the last few years, only one chipmaker has been able to dominate the market with their line of graphic chipsets, nVidia. The closest competitor they had was the Canadian based company ATi. As the GeForce 2 line was rolling out, ATi started getting serious by releasing the Radeon series. The result? The ATi Radeon coming up short.
As the GeForce 3 line started hitting the market, ATi finally released their 8500 line of video cards. The Result? ATi coming up short again. Would a moment come where ATi would have at least a quarter of dominance?
A month and a half ago, ATi finally came to the table with a graphic chipset that would blow the world away. On July 17th 2002, on display in San Francisco, CA, ATi showed off their new Radeon 9700 Pro based on the R300 core.
nVidia releases there GeForce 4 Ti series, ATi releases the 9700/9000 Pro line a while later. The Result? A new king of performance has been crowned. ATi has finally grasped the graphic market by its hand, and won't be letting go for at least 4-6 months. Where is nVidia's answer?
According to various sources, nVidia's "answer" has been delayed until late 4th quarter 2002/1st quarter 2003. These sources state that it seems nVidia is having trouble making the transition to 0.13 micron chips. Note that the 9700 is based on the 0.15 micron and ATi is still trying to squeeze out every MHz until they make their transition to the 0.13 micron chip in early Q1 2003.
Today, in the newly opened Canadian Tweak Town Labs, we will be taking a look at ATi's newest creation; the ATi 9700 Pro. We will take you through information about the card, a technological background and of course benchmarks.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- ATi 9700 Pro - Page 1 [Introduction]
- ATi 9700 Pro - Page 2 [Specifications]
- ATi 9700 Pro - Page 3 [Architecture]
- ATi 9700 Pro - Page 4 [The Visual Aspect]
- ATi 9700 Pro - Page 5 [Video Aspect]
- ATi 9700 Pro - Page 6 [Packaging/Layout]
- ATi 9700 Pro - Page 7 [Testing]
- ATi 9700 Pro - Page 8 [AA/AF Performance]
- ATi 9700 Pro - Page 9 [Conclusion]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Analyst expects mobile app store revenue to hit $100 billion by 2020
- Unity announces SteamVR support, now works on the HTC Vive
- P.T. influenced game now coming to Xbox One and PS4, possibly VR
- Fox greenlights 'Deadpool' sequel before release of first
- Oculus founder says Rift pre-orders far outweigh dev kit orders
- Asrock z97e-itx/ac Bifurcation Support
- Intel Compute Stick "2" STK1AW32SC 2GB Windows 10 Review
- Cougar 450M Ambidextrous Optical Gaming Mouse Review
- ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming Z170 Gaming K4 - Only Posts with one memory stick
- TP-LINK Archer C2600 MU-MIMO Wireless Dual-Band Router Review
- ESL Hearthstone Legendary Series returns to Intel Extreme Masters Katowice 2016
- HIDEO KOJIMA AND GUILLERMO DEL TORO CONFIRMED AS D.I.C.E. SUMMIT KEYNOTE SPEAKERS
- Toshiba Introduces the Next Generation OCZ Trion 150 Series Solid-State Drive Series
- Thermaltake Kicks Off 2016 MFC (Modding Fighting Championship)
- AMD Offers New Thermal Solutions and New Processors for Reliable, Near-Silent Performance