The Palit GTS 450 Low Profile is probably the fastest low profile video card on the market at the moment. For most people that won't matter, but for a small minority of people it's a great title to have. It's going to be a fantastic option for people who are looking for some new grunt in their low profile system, while at the same time not forcing them to break the bank thanks to its also small $129.99 price tag over at Newegg right now.
It's worth noting at the moment that Newegg.com are also offering a free Civilization 5 Upgrade, which means that if you buy the Basic Edition of the game, you get the Digital Deluxe Edition for no extra charge which adds another $10 worth of value to the product. While not something for everyone, it's a nice little bonus.
When it comes to performance, the card performs noticeably slower than the Platinum Sonic version of the GTS 450 from Palit, but considering that card carries a 930MHz core, this comes as no surprise. With that said, it's worth mentioning that I did take the time to just do a little bit of overclocking,
The low profile version of the GTS 450 from Palit receives the same benefits as its big brother, the full height ones, which means we're able to adjust the voltage on the core. We managed to move that from 1.1v to 1.162v.
What I tried for and managed to achieve with no problems was 900MHz on the core. This bumped the Shader clock to 1800MHz. I also boosted the memory clock to 4000MHz QDR and proceeded to run a few benchmarks.
What I ended up with was lifting our 3DMark Vantage score from P10773 to P12283 which is only a few hundred points shy of the Sonic Platinum version. I also fired up Far Cry 2 and ran our default settings at 1680 x 1050 and 1920 x 1200. The numbers went from 39 FPS and 30 FPS in the minimum department to 43 FPS and 32 FPS. As for the averages, they went from 82 FPS and 68 FPS to 92 FPS and 76 FPS.
While the extra voltage did cause the card to run a little hotter at 80c, slightly up on the 77c number we received at stock, the card didn't have any problems running our tests at these speeds.
The Palit GTS 450 Low Profile is a ripper little card. Sure, it's louder and hotter than most other GTS 450s we've tested, but you can't really compare the model to them for the simple fact being if your system can accept a full height card, just buy one of those. If you're looking for a Low Profile card that's faster than any other, this is the perfect card.
No doubt only catered for a certain group of people, and probably quite a small group at that, Palit has done a fantastic job of making this model available. And while it's something that won't sell in huge volumes because the market just isn't as big as others, it's a testament to Palit for mixing things up a bit. No one can criticize a company for doing that.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [Card and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup and 3DMark Vantage]
- Page 4 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Resident Evil 5]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X.]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Final Fantasy XIV]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Street Fighter IV]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Batman Arkham Asylum]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - PhysX Tests]
- Page 16 [Temperature Test]
- Page 17 [Sound Test]
- Page 18 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 19 [Total Performance Rating (TPR)]
- Page 20 [Total Value Rating (TVR)]
- Page 21 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Xbox One X trade-in offer revealed
- PlayerUnknown: we want PC version of PUBG on Xbox
- Xbox One X pre-orders available now
- 100 games will be enhanced on Xbox One X
- Our 'Guardians' giveaway is out of this Galaxy!
- Xbox's next system-seller may be an early access titan
- Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets Movie Review
- Looking for Lian Li PC-C37 pdf manual as links from Lian Li website are broken
- Aerocool Project 7 P7-C1 Pro Mid-Tower Chassis Review
- ASUS ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 Wireless Gaming Router Review
- Bluehole, Inc and Microsoft announce expanded partnership for PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds
- Optimize system performance with new drive adapter
- Lian Li reveals new PC-Q39 tempered glass Mini-ITX tower
- Longsys' world-first 11.5x13mm NVMe BGA SSD drives new mobile user experience
- Thermaltake attends NVIDIA Gamer Connect