For our performance testing we wanted to setup a configuration that would be a good representation of usage for the GS110TP. For this we also added in a GS108T (as we mentioned earlier). This switch can also be powered over PoE and we used this in addition to our other PoE devices (two PoE IP Cameras and a PoE Access Point).
From there we also attached three systems; our main test server was plugged directly into the GS110TP along with a single cable that lead back to the main lab network. Then we plugged in our test workstation into the GS108T along with a laptop.
We used PerformanceTest 6.1 by PassMark which you can find out more information about here. It has a handy Advanced Networking section which is perfect for our testing.
Doing our best to emulate a real-world performance scenario, I setup a server running Windows 2008 R2 (x64) Server, (2x Xeon Quad Core 3.0 GHz 1333MHz FSB, 4GB DDR2 FB-DIMMS, 2x 146GB SAS drives in RAID 1) and the client PC; a custom built system (GIGABYTE H55N-USB3 with a Core i5 750 CPU). From there we sent data through the GS110TP to our test server and also to other servers on the rest of the network.
I wish I could tell you that dropping the GS110TP into my network significantly improved performance, but it did not. It kept it at the same level we have seen before. This is not to say that it did not have any impact; it did a great deal by bringing in LLDP as well as other features that were lacking in the existing network. We also found that even with POE devices installed we did not see any reduction in performance on the GS110TP.
One of the biggest things that it has brought is extra security. With the ability to add an ACL by MAC and even IP, the internal lab network can be much more secure and we can keep regular traffic out much easier than we have in the past.
Ok, the PoE performance on the ProSafe GS110TP was excellent. At least it was until I tried to start adjusting settings per port. When I set up two PoE IP cameras and a PoE Access Point and I wanted them to be on different schedules, things fell apart. For some reason the system did not turn any of the PoE devices off. However, it did affect the performance of the switch. This was evidenced by the fact that the GS108T that we used in our setup was not visible (even when it was plugged into wall power). This issue is still unresolved (even with a firmware update) and is concerning to us, as it is a big selling point.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- AMD Ryzen CPU combo with Corsair AIO cooler on Amazon
- Samsung's Galaxy S8+ sports huge 6.2-inch display
- Samsung's new Exynos 9 chip: 4K 120FPS camera tech
- The latest photos and details on AMD Radeon Vega
- AMD reboots itself with Ryzen, and Vega is next
- ASUS MAXIMUS IX FORMULA A2 Error Code with Hardware Component Failure Beeps
- Does anyone from Thermaltake view this forum anymore?
- Is any one from Thermaltake viewing this forum anymore?
- Lian Li A61 5.25 devices
- Z270 Supercarrier - blackscreen 09/d0, cannot switch to backup BIOS
- Innovation and competition return to high-performance PCs March 2nd with worldwide AMD Ryzen 7 availability
- Final Fantasy awarded Guinness World Records title for most prolific role-playing game
- InstaVR launches publishing compatibility with HTC VIVE, cnabling companies to create high quality long-form VR video applications
- Transcend announces Ultimate UHS Video Speed Class 30 (V30) microSD cards to support 4K Ultra HD video recording
- Final Fantasy XIV Fan Fest culminates with the journey eastward in Stormblood