The BIOS on the 890GPA-UD3H follows the normal customized Award layout you find on most GIGABYTE motherboards.
As usual the place that most overclockers will spend their time is in the MB Intelligent Tweaker page and sub-menus.
As you can see above, the MIT page has almost all of the adjustments to push whatever CPU you drop in. You also have a few sub-menus that allow you to adjust all of the other pieces of the puzzle.
If you are not using an add-in graphics card, the IGX configuration page is where you want to head to make sure you are getting the most from the on-board HD 4290 and sideport memory.
The DRAM configuration page really does not need much of an explanation. It is nice to see the large number of options for a board that is aimed at the mainstream market, though.
The Advanced BIOS Features on the 890GPA-UD3H is much better named than on many systems I have seen lately. Here we find some actual advanced features like the CPU unlock control, the Core control (you can dynamically disable certain cores), and other CPU based options that you may or may not need.
The Integrated Peripherals page is a tad boring, but is important to mention here. It does contain the controls to enable/disable the on-board functions and also, in the case of the SATA controllers, lets you choose the operation mode.
The PC Health Status page is important for the fan controls and also to enable or disable the hardware thermal control. If you leave this on it can seriously hinder your overclocking attempts.
As with most GIGABYTE motherboards, getting things moving when overclocking is pretty easy. We started ours off in the MIT page with the CPU Frequency and moved around from there. Oddly when we overclocked with only the HD 4290 we found that we had to hard set the PCIe bus to 100MHz, or we had video issues. We also had to turn off Cool and Quiet along with the hardware thermal controls. Once these had been taken care of, we managed to hit 230MHz x 16 for a clock rate of 3.776GHz.
You can see the validation for the AMD Phenom II X6 1090T on the GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H here.
As all overclocking results are dependent on the hardware you use, your results may vary. Results of our overclocking tests are included in the performance section with the stock scores.
The version of EasyTune 6 that is on the 890GPA-UD3H is a bit different than what we were used to. Of course, we are used to dealing with the Intel based boards, but that does not mean that it is not functional.
As with the Intel versions, the first two pages are more for information than for overclocking. It is not until you hit the Tuner page that you get to your OC tools.
When you get to the Tuner page is when you begin to see the differences. With the Intel version of the software there is an Easy Boost page; while on the AMD version there is a simple button. You also have an easy overclocking method and an advanced method.
The last few pages give you some options for overclocking your GPU (if it is compatible), controlling the smart fans from inside Windows and also offering a light monitoring capability for temperatures and voltages.
Important Editor Note: Our maximum overclocking result is the best result we managed in our limited time of testing the motherboard. Due to time constraints we weren't able to tweak the motherboard to the absolute maximum and find the highest possible FSB, as this could take days to find properly. We do however spend at least a few hours overclocking every motherboard to try and find the highest possible overclock in that time frame. You may or may not be able to overclock higher if you spend more time tweaking or as new BIOS updates are released. "Burn-in" time might also come into play if you believe in that.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- FBI says companies lost $1.2B due to email scams since October 2013
- Qualcomm's next chip will use machine learning to detect malware
- Intel teases 100TB or larger SSDs for 2020
- Battlefield 4 'Summer update' arrives on September 1
- Sony Xperia Z4 Tablet reaches Australia, available right now
- Kingston DataTraveler microDuo 3C USB 3.1 Type-C Flash Drive Review
- PC-Q01/PC-Q03 Sizing Questions
- USB 3.0 header availability for PC-C37?
- Clean install windows 10 after being an insider
- Corsair Hydro H110i GTX High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler Review
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015
- SilverStone Accessories - Expansion Cards - ECM20