The QNAP TS-859U-RP
Here we get our first look at the 2U TS-859U-RP. The unit is sleek with its flat black finish. I would love to see what a 42U rack filled with these looks like. Better yet, I would love to fill my 42U rack with them!
The system is quite light and doesn't weigh all that much more than my daily use TS-809 Pro. Both units emit around the same level of acoustic noise as well, so it is possible to use your 859 in your office without earplugs, something that I couldn't say about the Thecus rackmount unit we tested the other day.
Most of the goodies are located on the back of the TS-859U-RP.
Here we see the redundant power supplies that use a fail over system. If one falls the other picks up the slack and you get to keep using the NAS without skipping a beat.
In the middle we see the dual gigabit Ethernet ports, quad USB 2.0 and dual eSATA connectors. If you wanted to get really fancy, you could actually install four thumb drives and two additional HDDs via eSATA and make the TS-859U-RP a storage monster, not that it isn't one already with eight HDDs in the traditional bays.
I was very surprised at the level of quality found inside the unit. Here we see the layout that allows for the components to breathe easily without the need for the fans to spin at crazy RPMs to keep things cool.
If you needed to install more memory, QNAP has made the memory module easily accessible, but be sure to read the list of qualified model numbers before making your purchasing decision.
When it comes to the little details that make a good product a great product, QNAP has always been able to deliver. Here we see one of the connectors that has a glue on it to ensure a strong, long lasting connection. All of the connectors inside the TS-859U-RP had this glue and it was not found on any of the Thecus models we have ever tested.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 3 [Software Features]
- Page 4 [The Packaging]
- Page 5 [The QNAP TS-859U-RP]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - HD Playback]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - HD Record]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Content]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Copy]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- AMD's next-gen AM4 socket pictured on the ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Impact
- Tesla inks $9 billion deal to build a new factory in China
- Battlefield 1: experimenting with weapons in closed alpha test
- Blade Runner meets Fallout 4 in this amazing settlement creation
- Resident Evil 7 isn't a reboot, you play a powerless, ordinary person
- H110M-ITX loses USB and PS1 when WIN 7 loads
- which has appears diagnosing to whom the people additionally energy y
- Owen stayed at true to her bit
- Why does my Monitor show static and lines occasionally when using 144hz?
- Considering a DK-04 when they come in stock, just have a few questions beforehand.
- ADATA launches the Premier SP550 M.2 2280 SATA 6Gb/s SSD
- Mangstor's NX-Series storage arrays accelerate HPC throughput with new burst buffer capabilities
- Swiftech unveils new Komodo Waterblocks for NVIDIA GeForce GTX1080 and GTX1070 flagship video cards
- ADATA releases the HD700 and HV620S external hard drives
- BIOSTAR teams up with Apacer and Thermaltake to showcase high-end gaming machines