For me I'm finding the GTS 450 Cyclone from MSI a little more of a stand out product than the GTX 460 version of the card. Yes, it's slower, but unlike the GTX 460 version, the out of the overclock is stronger when compared to the reference clocked card. I was honestly surprised to see the clocks of the card when I opened up GPU-Z, and to then see that MSI had opted to increase the memory clock as well was just icing on the cake.
Compared to the Galaxy version, the MSI version also works out to be slightly better value. That's because it's clocked only slightly slower and carries with it only a small performance difference, yet $135 US against $150 US is 10% cheaper and you can see how that affects our TVR graph on the last page.
Overall the GTS 450 is a better valued card than the GTX 460. With that said, it caters for a different market; people who have the budget for a GTX 460 wouldn't choose this over a GTS 450 and people who only have a budget that stretches to the GTS 450 won't be buying a GTX 460.
The most important thing about the GTS 450 is that NVIDIA didn't do what they did with the GTX 460 and completely kill the model above it. The GTX 460 killed the GTX 465 in one foul swoop; you went from a card (GTX 465) that did begin to show some serious life for the 400 series to a card (GTX 460) that just completely blew everything else off the market in its price range and up to $100 more. The GTS 450 on the other hand perfectly caters for people who want to spend less than $150. If you want to game at a higher resolution, and have a bigger budget, the GTX 460 is a very good upgrade.
Outside of the good out of the box overclock and aggressive retail pricing, though, the Cyclone cooler as always is wonderful. It's quiet and does an excellent job of keeping the core temperature down.
If all that wasn't enough, MSI organized the latest version of Afterburner, V2, which can now be grabbed from the MSI Afterburner website, That lets us really get stuck into overclocking of the model. We'll be saving the results of that one for an article coming online shortly, but let me give you a sneak peak.
As you can see, we managed quite the overclock, so keep an eye out for that article which will be showing up on a TweakTown website real soon.
Again we've got another great variant of the GTS 450 and thanks to an aggressive out of the box overclock and aggressive price tag, MSI has managed to stand out.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [Card and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup and 3DMark Vantage]
- Page 4 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Resident Evil 5]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X.]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Final Fantasy XIV]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Street Fighter IV]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Batman Arkham Asylum]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - PhysX Tests]
- Page 16 [Temperature Test]
- Page 17 [Sound Test]
- Page 18 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 19 [Total Performance Rating (TPR)]
- Page 20 [Total Value Rating (TVR)]
- Page 21 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- New images of the upcoming LG G6 leaked
- COD: Infinite Warfare - best-selling game of 2016 in US
- The entire gaming market slumped 12% in the US last year
- Bloody new 'Logan' trailer embraces hard R-rating
- Buy Resident Evil 7 on Xbox One, get it on the PC, too
- hp printer technical support
- How to prevent pc from waking up from sleep when a brown out occurs?
- Z170MX-Gaming 5 + i5 7600k.. Should work or not?
- ASRock 2.70 Splash Screen replaces Windows?
- bios update
- Transcend reveals industrial-grade SuperMLC JetFlash 740 USB flash drive for exceptional performance and endurance
- Light up your gaming with BIOSTAR B250 motherboard series
- MSI the pioneer in VR Gaming crowns winners of VR JAM
- NGE and Twitch partner to bring the Overwatch Winter Premiere Live Finals to PAX Arena at PAX South
- Bayview Labs, Seraph Group and MIT Game Lab announce 'Play Labs' VR/AR/AI Playful Tech Accelerator for MIT students and alumni