Many things have changed since we first started testing SandForce based products in our lab. At one time we were talking about 100GB SF-1200 drives costing up to 600 USD, but that was quickly reduced to 400 then 300 and now pricing for the new 120GB drives has fallen to less than 300 USD. For many enthusiasts the price is now into the commodity level and it isn't a question of if you should purchase a SandForce SF-1200 SSD, but if you should purchase two for RAID or stick to just one.
With prices bottoming out manufacturers have started shifting attention away from performance (which is as high as it can be for a SATA II interface) and started focusing more on added value areas like warranty lengths and included accessories. At a cost of 265 USD from Newegg the A-DATA S599 128GB comes with a health three year warranty and a nice anodized desktop adapter bracket. This isn't the very best price you can find on a SandForce SF-1200, but it is very close, close enough for the S599 to be on your list of potential drives to consider.
When it comes to performance we would like to see SandForce and A-DATA start to focus on data copy performance and see what they can do with compressed data transfer performance specifically. This is an area that will always be difficult for SandForce drives in this series, but we also feel that performance could also be improved here since the older firmware gave nearly a 20% increase over what we are seeing now.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Qualcomm teases 48-core processor on 10nm process
- Watch Shigeru Miyamoto play Mario's theme song on guitar
- Counter-Strike: Global Offensive update enhances audio
- BitFenix reveals new enthusiast Shogun PC case
- Nintendo's Super Mario Run mobile game is online-only
- ASUS Maximus Ranger not detecting my GPU
- x99 Taichi gets WHEA 17 errors and BSOD124
- Dk-q1 / dk-q1h
- asrock 880g pro3 codes E8>54>19
- ADATA SC660 240GB Portable SSD Review
- BIOSTAR announces new motherboard features
- ADATA releases updated SC660H and SV620H 3D NAND external SSDs
- BitFenix announces the Shogun chassis with ASUS Aura support
- Bluetooth 5 specification now available, 4x Range, 2x Speed
- Zadak511 reveals SHIELD Series with RGB DDR4 RAM and RGB SSD