Now I have seen just about everything as far as what it takes to win this bout with the competition. This whole time I have been doing a head to head with the Colossus battling it out with cases like my Obsidian 800D, the Phantom, the DK-85, and even the HAF-X, and I got to tell you, my money is going here. BitFenix has raised the bar in not only exterior presentation, but in the lighting concept and functionality. The SofTouch finish is very nice to look at and solves a lot of the finger print issues found in Aluminum cases, or ones with shiny plastic. I'm usually not a "bling" kind of guy, as you know from reading my previous reviews, but BitFenix has changed my mind. The Colossus has replaced the Lian Li PC-X1000 chassis I was using on my backup rig.
The Colossus does offer room for water cooling, but I saw no brackets or screw placement for a radiator in the top of the chassis. As you can see, an AIO cooler that is all the rage currently will install with no real issues. As far as coolers go, it doesn't matter if you have the D-14 from Noctua, this case can hold any air cooler. There is plenty of room inside once everything is installed, unlike the DF-85, which delivers the K.O. punch to that in my mind. It doesn't have the shrouds to cover things like hot swap bays or power supplies, but there isn't a window, so there is no need for them here. Usually I like to see what's going on inside of my cases, but the silence I get with the double walled doors, and the use of the 230mm fans, I just couldn't pass it up. So that's a T.K.O. on them! As far as a head to head against the Lian Li, well, the PC-X1000 is a super tower, and a sexy one, but it got replaced by the Colossus anyways, so how can it not be a win for the Colossus?
I have had the pleasure of using the chassis for about a week now, and I am pleased with my daily results. With the two 230mm fans, the Colossus can rid the interior of a ton of heat. I have that PC well overclocked, and the card runs Folding@Home all day every day. Moving from the Lian Li, the temperatures went down on both the GPU and CPU temperatures under load. With the fans being dead silent under full speed operation, it was a huge plus, as I prefer a silent work environment. The Lian Li made much more noise and didn't perform as well with three more fans!
What it all comes down to is this. Are you looking for the most uniquely lit chassis on the market? Are you looking for great "bang for the buck" in our crappy economy? Are you looking for a completely functional and easy to use case? Are you looking to impress your friend with the latest in awesome cases? If I got you to answer three out of the four with a yes, I'm telling you, keep an eye on your favorite retailer or e-tailer, as the Colossus from BitFenix is the case I would opt to by myself if I wasn't so blessed as to be able to switch to new cases on a regular basis. In the end I replaced a $400 case with a case that has a MSRP of $169. It's only a couple more weeks, but I suggest you sit on your hands and don't buy anything just yet. It's well worth the wait to get this chassis into your home and see it for yourself.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- NVIDIA GRID 2.0 will be powered by Maxwell-based Tesla M60, Tesla M6
- Intel will be pushing eDRAM into its Iris and Iris Pro graphics
- Intel calls their new Skylake CPUs their 'best CPU ever'
- ASRock unveils the H2R, a Chromecast-like HDMI dongle
- ARCHOS unveils the larger screened Diamond Plus smartphone
- SanDisk Connect Stick 64GB Wireless Flash Drive Review
- GA-EP45-UD3R doesn't boot with Dual Channel (After Clean PC)
- carvedilol 3.125 mg information. Purchase online.
- Im happy I now signed up
- ASUSTOR AS5004T Four-Bay Consumer NAS Review
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015
- SilverStone Accessories - Expansion Cards - ECM20