Most of the enthusiasts this board is aimed at has either, 1) Broadband Internet. 2) Go to LAN events or, 3) 1 and 2 together). If you are one of these you will be very happy to know that Chaintech have placed a hardware Realtek 10/100 Fast PCU Ethernet card onboard. While the ICH4 does support an Intel Pro100VE network controller, it is still software controlled and doesn't stand up to the heavy loads the Realtek network controller can.
Keeping the case clutter free
Chaintech, aiming at the enthusiast, knows how much good cooling is to a successful overclock. One way to improve case cooling is to use rounded cables for your FDD and IDE devices, allowing better cooling to get past the cables. Well Chaintech comes to the rescue with rounded IDE and FDD cables as standard with their Apogee motherboards. A super effort that.
C-Box - Front Panel Connectivity
C-Box is Chaintech's fist attempt at adding front panel ports for your case. Using a 3" box, it moves four USB ports to the front as well as adding the ability to use the Front Panel Audio header on your motherboard. Especially good if you are going to be using the Body Theatre.
A RAID Version Coming?
One thing I was disappointed about was the fact that RAID wasn't standard on this board, but from the looks of it, Chaintech is looking into adding RAID for future boards. From the photo you can see the extra IDE solder points and space for a chip around the size of the Promise ATA-133 controller.
Overclocking on the 9EJL1 was a absolute delight. Not one problem was experienced and some very good full on clock speeds were obtained. Before we get into the final results lets go through the overclocking settings that the 9EJL1 gives you.
The BIOS is a standard Award setup. Under the Frequency/Voltage control menu you will find your settings for the overclocking options.
First on the list is "CPU Clock". CPU Clock is the FSB select option, you can change your FSB from 100Mhz up to 250Mhz in 1Mhz increments, a must for any enthusiast board.
Second is the "AGP Clock" option. You can set your AGP dividers to either 2/3, 1/2 and some other unsupported settings by Intel to keep your AGP clock speeds down when pushing high FSB speeds.
Third on the list is the "Memory Frequency" option. This is what controls the DRAM ratio dividers. The options are for 200Mhz, 266Mhz and 354Mhz. Note that the 354Mhz option is only available when using 533FSB processors as it runs the dividers at 3:4.
Forth on the list is the beginnings of the voltage controls. "CPU Voltage Regulator" controls the amount of power supplied to the V-Core. The options available are 1.1v up to 1.850v in 0.025v increments.
Fifth is the "AGP Voltage Regulator". This controls the amount of power the AGP bus receives. The options are 1.5, 1.59, 1.62, 1.69 and 1.71v
Sixth and final on the overclocking front is the "DRAM Voltage Regulator". This controls the amount of voltage the DDR-SDRAM receives. Options for this are 2.5, 2.59, 2.62, 2.71 and 2.81v.
With all that said we are happy to say with our unlocked Northwood 2G we lowered the multipliers and pushed a FSB of 182Mhz. This is by far a very good speed from an I845E chipset.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Nintendo Switch battery life analysis
- Resident Evil 7 isn't coming to Nintendo Switch
- Zelda: Breath of the Wild's Hyrule is bigger than Skyrim
- 'Rogue One' captures plans for $1B worldwide box office
- Huawei P10: Curved display and front fingerprint sensor?
- Upgrading to Z270
- headphones not registering on ASUS k501uq
- Black screen GA Z170X ULTRA GAMING BIOS F21 I7 6400 T HELP
- hp printer technical support
- How to prevent pc from waking up from sleep when a brown out occurs?
- Transcend reveals industrial-grade SuperMLC JetFlash 740 USB flash drive for exceptional performance and endurance
- Light up your gaming with BIOSTAR B250 motherboard series
- MSI the pioneer in VR Gaming crowns winners of VR JAM
- NGE and Twitch partner to bring the Overwatch Winter Premiere Live Finals to PAX Arena at PAX South
- Bayview Labs, Seraph Group and MIT Game Lab announce 'Play Labs' VR/AR/AI Playful Tech Accelerator for MIT students and alumni