The Super Overclock series from GIGABYTE is one of my personal favorite series and the main reason for this is that they're bringing the series to a wide range of budgets. The last generation of 200 series cards saw the higher end models get the treatment. In the HD 5000 series ATI range we've seen both the HD 5870 and HD 5770 get it which cater for two different price ranges. And today we're seeing the GTX 470 get the treatment.
If the success of the GTX 460 is anything to go by, we're sure that this model will also get the same treatment which means you can get your hands on a nicely overclocked GIGBAYTE model no matter what your budget is. It's ultimately a win for you, the consumer.
Since GIGABYTE sent us the card nice and early, we don't have a retail package. Instead let's get straight into the card itself and then have a look at the specifications that make up the Super Overclock model.
The first thing we can spot that's new to the SOC model is that triple fan cooler. Worth noting is that unlike the one we've seen on the Sapphire HD 5970 TOXIC, this isn't a triple slot one. It's still only dual slot which for people wanting to go SLI is good news.
As for the rest of the card, you're not in for any surprises. We've got two 6-Pin PCI-E power connectors towards the back of the card, while closer to the front we have our two SLI connectors and connectivity is two Dual-Link DVI ports and a single Mini-HDMI one.
Specifications is ultimately what makes the Super OC series and out of the box this card sports a 700MHz core which is way up on the default 607MHz that NVIDIA offer on reference models.
With the core being bumped up, we of course see that the Shader clock has also headed north. That's gone from 1215MHz to 1400MHz. As for that 1280MB of GDDR5 memory, GIGABYTE has opted to leave that at the default 837MHz or 3348MHz DDR.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Card and Specifications]
- Page 2 [Test System Setup and 3DMark Vantage]
- Page 3 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - CINEBENCH]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Resident Evil 5]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - BattleForge]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X.]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Darkest of Days]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Batman Arkham Asylum]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Dark Void]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Elcomsoft Wireless Security Auditor]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Badaboom]
- Page 15 [Temperature Test]
- Page 16 [Sound Test]
- Page 17 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 18 [Total Performance Rating (TPR)]
- Page 19 [Total Value Rating (TVR)]
- Page 20 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- StarCraft remastered announced by Blizzard
- The first sign of Kaby Lake X: the Intel Core i7-7740K
- AMD Ryzen with 12C/24T appears, excites us all so much
- AMD teases Radeon RX Vega is 'just around the corner'
- New 'Justice League' trailer comes together
- ASUS M51Vr Notebook. Long story.
- Kong: Skull Island Movie Review
- TPM issue with 970-D3P
- Extreme9 3 way crossfirex
- Kingston HyperX Savage 64GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Review
- Elgato Stream Deck brings tactile control to live content creation
- COLORFUL wins innovation award from Intel
- Composer Olivier Deriviere pioneers real-time generated interactive music for GET EVEN
- BIOSTAR launches compact high-speed storage solution with M200 M.2 SSD
- EpicGear launches MORPHA X RGB fully modular gaming mouse