Now for what we've been waiting for; the drive. About the first thing you notice when you start removing the protective plastic packaging is the blue face. While the remainder of the drive is nothing out of the ordinary, that blue front keeps drawing the eye. Even now after using it for a few days, I still open up the door to my case and look twice at the drive because of the colored tray covering.
The back of the unit is pretty standard, but then, I wouldn't expect anything else. You have the power receptacle, the ribbon cable connection, jumpers for Master, Slave and Cable Select, and ports for both analogue and digital cabling to your sound card.
Once installed, it gives your PC a rather unique look. Now maybe you can understand why I still have to do double takes when I open up my front door.
Many people ask why the blue tray and cover. There is some speculation that darker colored trays equate to a more accurate burning process. It has something to do with the way the laser within reflects. While I can't say for sure how much actual truth there is to this, I can say that even manufacturers like Dell Computers is shipping their burners with a black tray for this same reason.
Pictured above is something that seems to be missing on more and more optical drives made today. You see marked with arrows two tabs that allow you to mount this drive in a sideways position. Though I don't usually mount my drives in this manner, I DO lay my case on it's side when troubleshooting from time to time. With these tabs holding steady the disk, you can still access the CD drive with no problems at all.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Huawei Mate 9 goes on sale in the US on January 6th
- Faraday Future keeps teasing their upcoming electric car
- Qualcomm teases 48-core processor on 10nm process
- Watch Shigeru Miyamoto play Mario's theme song on guitar
- Counter-Strike: Global Offensive update enhances audio
- Asrock J3355M doesn't power on (mostly)
- ASUS Maximus Ranger not detecting my GPU
- x99 Taichi gets WHEA 17 errors and BSOD124
- Dk-q1 / dk-q1h
- asrock 880g pro3 codes E8>54>19
- BIOSTAR announces new motherboard features
- ADATA releases updated SC660H and SV620H 3D NAND external SSDs
- BitFenix announces the Shogun chassis with ASUS Aura support
- Bluetooth 5 specification now available, 4x Range, 2x Speed
- Zadak511 reveals SHIELD Series with RGB DDR4 RAM and RGB SSD