Now for what we've been waiting for; the drive. About the first thing you notice when you start removing the protective plastic packaging is the blue face. While the remainder of the drive is nothing out of the ordinary, that blue front keeps drawing the eye. Even now after using it for a few days, I still open up the door to my case and look twice at the drive because of the colored tray covering.
The back of the unit is pretty standard, but then, I wouldn't expect anything else. You have the power receptacle, the ribbon cable connection, jumpers for Master, Slave and Cable Select, and ports for both analogue and digital cabling to your sound card.
Once installed, it gives your PC a rather unique look. Now maybe you can understand why I still have to do double takes when I open up my front door.
Many people ask why the blue tray and cover. There is some speculation that darker colored trays equate to a more accurate burning process. It has something to do with the way the laser within reflects. While I can't say for sure how much actual truth there is to this, I can say that even manufacturers like Dell Computers is shipping their burners with a black tray for this same reason.
Pictured above is something that seems to be missing on more and more optical drives made today. You see marked with arrows two tabs that allow you to mount this drive in a sideways position. Though I don't usually mount my drives in this manner, I DO lay my case on it's side when troubleshooting from time to time. With these tabs holding steady the disk, you can still access the CD drive with no problems at all.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- ISS crew arrives at Space Station after two-day trip
- Major cyber attack knocks out popular websites
- Cassini's final year of its epic voyage to Saturn
- Nintendo won't reveal full Switch specs until 2017
- Nintendo Switch may have extra power while docked
- BSI3H-6100 long time to post
- Patriot Memory LX 200GB microSD Memory Card Review
- ASRock problem SB fan1
- GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 - F20b BIOS BUG?
- Unable To Update AMD GPU Driver
- ENERMAX releases Steelwing aluminum case
- ENERMAX Platimax D.F. PSU is available now
- ENERMAX launches Revolution Duo power supply with DUOFlowTM design for active ventilation
- Razer unveils new Razer Blade Pro gaming notebook
- Nintendo Switch world premiere demonstrates new entertainment experiences from a home gaming system