Now for what we've been waiting for; the drive. About the first thing you notice when you start removing the protective plastic packaging is the blue face. While the remainder of the drive is nothing out of the ordinary, that blue front keeps drawing the eye. Even now after using it for a few days, I still open up the door to my case and look twice at the drive because of the colored tray covering.
The back of the unit is pretty standard, but then, I wouldn't expect anything else. You have the power receptacle, the ribbon cable connection, jumpers for Master, Slave and Cable Select, and ports for both analogue and digital cabling to your sound card.
Once installed, it gives your PC a rather unique look. Now maybe you can understand why I still have to do double takes when I open up my front door.
Many people ask why the blue tray and cover. There is some speculation that darker colored trays equate to a more accurate burning process. It has something to do with the way the laser within reflects. While I can't say for sure how much actual truth there is to this, I can say that even manufacturers like Dell Computers is shipping their burners with a black tray for this same reason.
Pictured above is something that seems to be missing on more and more optical drives made today. You see marked with arrows two tabs that allow you to mount this drive in a sideways position. Though I don't usually mount my drives in this manner, I DO lay my case on it's side when troubleshooting from time to time. With these tabs holding steady the disk, you can still access the CD drive with no problems at all.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- 4-player coop mode coming to Watch Dogs 2 in June
- The first images from the new Tomb Raider movie are here
- First 'IT' trailer brings Pennywise back to terrify
- ASUS announces GTX 1080 11Gbps, GTX 1060 9Gbps models
- MSI and ASUS tease new GTX 1080s with 11Gbps GDDR5X RAM
- ROCCAT SUORA FX Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Xtreme Edition 8G Review
- Cannot get rid of Asus Secure Delete
- NZXT Kraken X52 Liquid CPU Cooler Review
- Window side panel for PC-V1020
- MSI announces frosty limited edition Trident 3 Arctic gaming PC
- ADATA adds the i-Memory AI920 jet black flash drive
- FinalWire releases AIDA64 Extreme 5.90 benchmark software
- ASUS announces support for Intel Optane memory
- Thermaltake releases new View 28 RGB Gull-Wing window ATX mid-tower chassis series with Tt LCS Certified and unique 256-color RGB matrix design