Now for what we've been waiting for; the drive. About the first thing you notice when you start removing the protective plastic packaging is the blue face. While the remainder of the drive is nothing out of the ordinary, that blue front keeps drawing the eye. Even now after using it for a few days, I still open up the door to my case and look twice at the drive because of the colored tray covering.
The back of the unit is pretty standard, but then, I wouldn't expect anything else. You have the power receptacle, the ribbon cable connection, jumpers for Master, Slave and Cable Select, and ports for both analogue and digital cabling to your sound card.
Once installed, it gives your PC a rather unique look. Now maybe you can understand why I still have to do double takes when I open up my front door.
Many people ask why the blue tray and cover. There is some speculation that darker colored trays equate to a more accurate burning process. It has something to do with the way the laser within reflects. While I can't say for sure how much actual truth there is to this, I can say that even manufacturers like Dell Computers is shipping their burners with a black tray for this same reason.
Pictured above is something that seems to be missing on more and more optical drives made today. You see marked with arrows two tabs that allow you to mount this drive in a sideways position. Though I don't usually mount my drives in this manner, I DO lay my case on it's side when troubleshooting from time to time. With these tabs holding steady the disk, you can still access the CD drive with no problems at all.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Microsoft says its worker cutback affected staff diversity
- Sony tells users not to upgrade to Windows 10
- Increase in card use ensures China's payment fraud rises
- Arrests conducted in Britain over malware-assisting website
- Multiple University staff injure themselves due to texting and walking
- Upgrade RAM on G11CD system assistance
- C2750D4I - BMC Update Failed
- X99 Extreme 6/3.1 Bios Update to support Samsung 950 Pro M.2.
- PC-A04 case top USB Multi-Media I/O ports replacement
- Asrock H170M-ITX\ac Windows 10 fresh install
- EASARS Unveils World of Tanks and Team RIVAL Licensed Gaming Gear
- G.SKILL Boosts DDR4 8GB Module Speed Up to 4133MHz 16GB
- Sharkoon Announces SHARK ZONE K20 Gaming Keyboard
- EK Releases Monoblock for GIGABYTE Z170X Motherboards
- BROFORCE AIR-DROPS HUGE POST LAUNCH UPDATE BECAUSE FREEDOM CANNOT BE CONTAINED