It wasn't too terribly long ago that the concept of getting an internal CD Burner was a reason to start saving the dollars. After all, the top of the line 4x burners were reaching exorbitant ceiling prices. I can recall seeing Plextor burners for prices in the $300-400 range and this wasn't including the price of media. Add to this the distinct possibility of burning several coasters and you can see that it wasn't your average impulse purchase.
But then things started to get interesting. Everybody started making rewriters that were just a step ahead of the competition. Prices became much more affordable and the development of buffer underrun technologies made things both affordable and reliable. Since media had already started coming down in price too, things were just looking good all over.
Enter TDK, a Japanese company that has been in business since 1935. They have long been manufacturing electronics components, but a few years ago they decided that they could make a better burner then some of the big players. But since everyone was making these things, there had to be something that could be done to make their product stand out from the crowd. So they took up the gauntlet, made some extremely fast optical devices and then put on a fancy blue tray cover to let folks know that they were there.
This brings us to today's contestant, the veloCD 48x16x48 CD-RW. It advertises itself as an Ultra-Speed burner capable of creating DVD compatible videos, recording music and MP3 mixes, and also claims to be easy. Can this TDK drive stand up to the hype? Let's find out!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- LG partners with REEDS Jewelers for the LG Watch Urbane Luxe
- Report: Prior to breach, no one wanted to purchase Ashley Madison
- Konami developers didn't take holidays to get MGS V on PC earlier
- Survive 'The Walking Dead' in our latest Blu-ray giveaway
- Mortal Kombat X cancelled for the Xbox 360 and PS3
- H97 boards, graphics cards and CPUs running hotter than on Z97 boards
- New network adapter making graphics card fail.
- x99 Extreme 4/3.1 Red Light + No Display
- Build Advice End of 2015 ASUS X99-A/USB 3.1
- X99 Extreme 6ac eSATA
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015
- SilverStone Accessories - Expansion Cards - ECM20