It wasn't too terribly long ago that the concept of getting an internal CD Burner was a reason to start saving the dollars. After all, the top of the line 4x burners were reaching exorbitant ceiling prices. I can recall seeing Plextor burners for prices in the $300-400 range and this wasn't including the price of media. Add to this the distinct possibility of burning several coasters and you can see that it wasn't your average impulse purchase.
But then things started to get interesting. Everybody started making rewriters that were just a step ahead of the competition. Prices became much more affordable and the development of buffer underrun technologies made things both affordable and reliable. Since media had already started coming down in price too, things were just looking good all over.
Enter TDK, a Japanese company that has been in business since 1935. They have long been manufacturing electronics components, but a few years ago they decided that they could make a better burner then some of the big players. But since everyone was making these things, there had to be something that could be done to make their product stand out from the crowd. So they took up the gauntlet, made some extremely fast optical devices and then put on a fancy blue tray cover to let folks know that they were there.
This brings us to today's contestant, the veloCD 48x16x48 CD-RW. It advertises itself as an Ultra-Speed burner capable of creating DVD compatible videos, recording music and MP3 mixes, and also claims to be easy. Can this TDK drive stand up to the hype? Let's find out!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Enter our giant 'BFG' Blu-ray giveaway thanks to Disney!
- Discover the 'Secret Life of Pets' in our Blu-ray promo!
- PlayStation Plus Instant Game December line-up leaked
- Star Wars creator George Lucas 'really liked' Rogue One
- Facebook debuts 'Instant Games' app worldwide
- Gigabyte gaming 5 z170mx cant enable raid need help
- ASUS UX305UA - time till boot starts varies a lot
- Ga z170m d3h ddr3-cf seek bios non-k_oc and kaby_support
- ROCCAT SOVA MK Gaming Lapboard Review
- ASRock 990fx extreme4 & Fast- Ultra Fast Boot Issues
- ENERMAX launches REVOLUTION SFX, with the highest wattage 650W full modular SFX Model in standard 100mm depth
- Intel Extreme Masters Season 11 finals confirmed for two weekends in March with more than $600,000 in prizing
- Ultimate Media Ventures teams up with The Coalition for sanctioned December 18 Gears Of War 4 Pro-Am eSports Battle On The Strip Event
- Thecus introduces Scale-Out architecture to meet rising enterprise storage demand
- Plantronics launches RIG 800 series - first 24-hour wireless gaming headset