AS SSD Benchmark
Version and / or Patch Used: 1.2.3577.40358
Developer Homepage: Alex Intelligent Software
Product Homepage: Alex Intelligent Software
Download here: http://www.alex-is.de/PHP/fusion/downloads.php?cat_id=4&download_id=9
AS determines the performance of Solid State Drives (SSD). The tool contains four synthetic as well as three practice tests. The synthetic tests are to determine the sequential and random read and write performance of the SSD. These tests are carried out without the use of the operating system caches.
In all synthetic tests the test file size is 1GB. AS can also determine the access time of the SSD, the access of which the drive is determined to read through the entire capacity of the SSD (Full Stroke). The write access test is only to be met with a 1 GB big test file. At the end of the tests three values for the read and write as well as the overall performance will be issued. In addition to the calculated values which are shown in MB/s, they are also represented in IO per seconds (IOPS).
Note: AS SSD is a great benchmark for many tests, but since Crystal Disk Mark covers a broader range of 4K tests and HD Tune Pro covering sequential speeds, we will only use the Copy Benchmark from AS SSD.
- Copy Benchmark
The most commonly used task for external storage products is transferring data to and from the drive. In AS SSD we are able to simulate a controlled transfer of three common file formats. The adapter allows our RealSSD C300 256GB drive to transfer ISO data at 108 MB/s, Program Files at 78MB/s and Game Files at a massive 95MB/s. These are the fastest USB 3.0 numbers we have seen to date, but that is what happens when you use the fastest SSD on the market to test with.
The idea of building a SATA to USB adapter is not new; Vantec has been building these for a few years now. The progression to USB 3.0 was logical and it was only just a matter of time for this product to hit our test bench.
As with all products, there are tradeoffs; some things we like and some that we don't. If you are someone with several hard drives sitting around that hold data or you repair computers often, then you will find the Vantec NexStar SATA to USB 3.0 adapter as useful as a bench tool. On the other hand, if you are looking for a dedicated solution for a single drive or rarely swap drives for storage purposes, then a true dedicated USB 3.0 enclosure may be a better solution since the prices are now comparable between an enclosure and the SATA to USB 3.0 adapter.
At 27 USD the Vantec NexStar CB-SATAU3 would have been considered a bargain just two weeks ago, but with the introduction of low cost USB 3.0 enclosures that just hit Newegg this last week the price seems just average now. Still, if you find yourself in a position to use the adapter often enough, price is irrelevant since this is the right tool for its specific job. In some cases it is like trying to use a drill as a hammer. You can smack a single nail in place with the butt of a drill from time to time, but when you need to drive several nails nothing really takes the place of a hammer.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 2 [The Packaging]
- Page 3 [The Vantec NexStar SATA to USB 3.0 Adapter]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - HD Tach]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Crystal Disk Mark]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - AS SSD and Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Conan Exiles alpha screenshots show a brutal and desolate world
- CBS not talking with Apple about streaming TV services anymore
- Unsurprisingly, the PlayStation 4 outsold the Xbox One in January
- Grand Theft Auto Online Valentine's day special, Adversary Mode
- Final Fantasy 14 patch 3.2 begins the Gears of Change
- Extreme Problem (not alone)
- Кадастровая оценка от Мо
- Cougar 450K Hybrid Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- more a what's your opinion on motherboard replacement re: asus 1225b
- Debug 62
- Phanteks Announces the Eclipse P400 and P400S Chassis
- ESL Hearthstone Legendary Series returns to Intel Extreme Masters Katowice 2016
- ASUS Republic of Gamers Announces Horus GK2000 Gaming Keyboard
- Logitech Announces the G810 Orion Spectrum Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
- ADATA Reveals HD650X and HD710M USB 3.0 External Hard Drives