G.Skill promises 2000MHz DDR on only a few boards; all of them from ASUS. With our ASRock 890FX Deluxe3 we initially had trouble achieving over 1500MHz DDR. After updating the BIOS we got over 1600MHz DDR, but we were still a far cry from the 2000MHz DDR we needed.
We asked G.Skill what the best board was for this RAM and they said the ASUS M4A89TD PRO was the best pick. With a quick email, we were set up to receive that board. Once the ASUS board was up and running, we managed to get 2000MHz DDR 7-9-7-24-2T straight away.
You can see the validation here.
We had been told that 1T should be easy to achieve without changing any of the settings, so that's exactly what we did. Changing to 1T brought with it no issues at all and running our benchmarks was done with ease.
Next we went on to overclocking. While normally we would just stick to the default timings, we thought we would leave the kit at 1T while still using the same 7-9-7-24 setup.
You can see the validation here.
What we ended up with was 2127MHz DDR which is very impressive; not just for the kit but for an AMD system as well. We might've been able to squeeze a few more MHz out of the kit if we went back to 2T, but we thought we would stick to 1T.
Important Editor Note: Our maximum overclocking result is the best result we managed in our limited time of testing the memory. Due to time constraints we weren't able to tweak the motherboard to the absolute maximum and find the highest possible FSB, as this could take days to find properly. We do however spend at least a few hours overclocking every motherboard to try and find the highest possible overclock in that time frame. You may or may not be able to overclock higher if you spend more time tweaking, or as new BIOS updates are released. "Burn-in" time might also come into play if you believe in that.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Packaging and Modules]
- Page 2 [Overclocking]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup and wPrime]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Everest Ultimate Edition]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - SiSoft Sandra]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Sciencemark]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 8 [Total Performance Rating (TPR)]
- Page 9 [Total Value Rating (TVR) and Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Blizzard working on new mobile games
- GALAX GTX 1080 Ti EXOC White: dual-slot GTX 1080 Ti
- The Division receives loadout feature in PTR patch
- CliffyB: AAA games in a 'weird spot', VR in '80s' period
- GDDR6 is coming to high-end GPUs in early 2018
- Hidrate Spark 2.0 Bluetooth Smart Bottle Review
- Asus MCE remote IR codes required
- Looking for instant flash bios files for P67 Pro3 B3
- Planet Earth II 4K Blu-ray Review
- Promise Technology Apollo Cloud 2TB Review
- SAPPHIRE introduces new PULSE graphics card family
- HyperX Cloud Revolver S gaming headset now shipping
- SK Hynix introduces industry's fastest 8Gb graphics DRAM (GDDR6)
- Samsung and Amazon Video deliver next generation HDR video experience with updated open standard HDR10+
- AmpliFi HD Mesh Wi-Fi Available at Best Buy, GameStop and Sam's Club