G.Skill promises 2000MHz DDR on only a few boards; all of them from ASUS. With our ASRock 890FX Deluxe3 we initially had trouble achieving over 1500MHz DDR. After updating the BIOS we got over 1600MHz DDR, but we were still a far cry from the 2000MHz DDR we needed.
We asked G.Skill what the best board was for this RAM and they said the ASUS M4A89TD PRO was the best pick. With a quick email, we were set up to receive that board. Once the ASUS board was up and running, we managed to get 2000MHz DDR 7-9-7-24-2T straight away.
You can see the validation here.
We had been told that 1T should be easy to achieve without changing any of the settings, so that's exactly what we did. Changing to 1T brought with it no issues at all and running our benchmarks was done with ease.
Next we went on to overclocking. While normally we would just stick to the default timings, we thought we would leave the kit at 1T while still using the same 7-9-7-24 setup.
You can see the validation here.
What we ended up with was 2127MHz DDR which is very impressive; not just for the kit but for an AMD system as well. We might've been able to squeeze a few more MHz out of the kit if we went back to 2T, but we thought we would stick to 1T.
Important Editor Note: Our maximum overclocking result is the best result we managed in our limited time of testing the memory. Due to time constraints we weren't able to tweak the motherboard to the absolute maximum and find the highest possible FSB, as this could take days to find properly. We do however spend at least a few hours overclocking every motherboard to try and find the highest possible overclock in that time frame. You may or may not be able to overclock higher if you spend more time tweaking, or as new BIOS updates are released. "Burn-in" time might also come into play if you believe in that.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Packaging and Modules]
- Page 2 [Overclocking]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup and wPrime]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Everest Ultimate Edition]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - SiSoft Sandra]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Sciencemark]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 8 [Total Performance Rating (TPR)]
- Page 9 [Total Value Rating (TVR) and Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Ubisoft's latest 'The Breach' trailer for Rainbow Six: Siege
- Quentin Tarantino explains his love for 70mm, says it trumps digital
- Man gets shot, instead of calling the cops, he grabs an Uber home
- New Fallout 4 mod dramatically overhauls in-game landscapes
- Apple rumored to remove the 3.5mm headphone jack from the next iPhone
- "Cheap" 4K Rig
- wifi card for gigabyte x99m gaming 5 microatx
- Newly built PC won't boot
- Spectre (2015) Cinema Movie Review
- New ASUS Notebook: Event Log flooding with Event ID 17 warnings from WHEA-Logger
- BRAVEN Balance, the Active Lifestyle Bluetooth Speaker Now Available
- COGITO FIT WINS DESIGN FOR ASIA AWARD
- SP/ Silicon Power Announces Flagship CompactFlash Memory Card - Superior CF 1100X Born For Ultimate Performance
- Team Group Announces Neptune Gaming SO-DIMM Memory
- Cooltek Announces the Skall Series ATX Mid-tower Chassis