Pentium 4 and AMD Athlon XP, Side by Side
First off we see the Intel Pentium 4 2.8GHz CPU back and front compared to the AMD Athlon XP CPU's that are currently in circulation. The Intel Pentium 4 is considerably smaller than the Athlon XP. Intel's Heatspreader on the die of the CPU is a very good addition, something that should be added to all new AMD processors as it does prevent chipping the die of the CPU and turning your shiny CPU into a very expensive key ring.
Heatsink, Socket and Retention Mechanism
Well, the CPU's may be getting faster but its good to see some things stay the same. Intel has been in the past notorious for changing its chipsets and even its sockets to accommodated its new processors where there hasn't been any need (remember Socket 423, how long did that last?). The 2.8GHz uses the same Socket 478 mPGA connector, Heatsink unit and retention mechanism as all the previous 478 class CPU's.
Intel, in order to achieve 2.8GHz, have raised the CPU core voltage from 1.50v up to 1.525v. Very small change but its still starting to show the 0.13um process is needing more power to push more speed.
The Test System
Our test motherboard for this review is the Soyo P4S645DX Dragon Ultra board. We chose this board for two reasons. First, it looks great and second, it supports DDR-333 memory officially.
As mentioned above, the Soyo P4S645DX Dragon board uses the SiS 645DX chipset. Currently, the best DDR-333 platform for Intel Pentium 4 (actually the only DDR-333 platform for Intel). While the Intel i845G chipset does have DDR-333 ratio dividers, only a few motherboard manufacturers have decided to implement them so we decided to show Intel Pentium 4 in an official rig. While VIA does have the P4X400 motherboard, there is still a huge debate going on between Intel and VIA, so once again, for sake of being official we are choosing SiS to power our rig.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Intel Pentium 4 2.8GHz - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Intel Pentium 4 2.8GHz - Page 2 [Specifications]
- Intel Pentium 4 2.8GHz - Page 3 [Features]
- Intel Pentium 4 2.8GHz - Page 4 [The Photo Gallery]
- Intel Pentium 4 2.8GHz - Page 5 [Test Setup and Sandra]
- Intel Pentium 4 2.8GHz - Page 6 [Benchmarks - System Productivity]
- Intel Pentium 4 2.8GHz - Page 7 [Benchmarks - Multimedia Productivity]
- Intel Pentium 4 2.8GHz - Page 8 [Benchmarks - Synthetic PC and 3D]
- Intel Pentium 4 2.8GHz - Page 9 [Benchmarks - OpenGL]
- Intel Pentium 4 2.8GHz - Page 10 [Benchmarks - Direct3D]
- Intel Pentium 4 2.8GHz - Page 11 [Conclusion]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Samsung confirms faulty batteries caused Note7 fiasco
- Hugo Barra is leaving Xiaomi next month
- 'Terminator' to wrap with creator James Cameron's return
- PC gaming hardware market hits $30 billion
- Nintendo Switch battery life analysis
- Gigabyte (Business) Partner Questions
- Upgrading to Z270
- headphones not registering on ASUS k501uq
- Black screen GA Z170X ULTRA GAMING BIOS F21 I7 6400 T HELP
- hp printer technical support
- Transcend reveals industrial-grade SuperMLC JetFlash 740 USB flash drive for exceptional performance and endurance
- Light up your gaming with BIOSTAR B250 motherboard series
- MSI the pioneer in VR Gaming crowns winners of VR JAM
- NGE and Twitch partner to bring the Overwatch Winter Premiere Live Finals to PAX Arena at PAX South
- Bayview Labs, Seraph Group and MIT Game Lab announce 'Play Labs' VR/AR/AI Playful Tech Accelerator for MIT students and alumni