As you would expect, the BIOS on the RIIIG is very complete. You are getting most of the same features that you would see with the RIIIE, but also some of the more consumer based features like we saw on the Crosshair IV Formula. For the hard-core overclocker the Extreme Tweaker page will be where you spend most of your time. ASUS, wanting to make things as streamlined as they can, have made sure most of the major settings can be adjusted from here.
There is also a sub-page that lets you play with the memory timings to get the best performance/highest clock.
The Advanced page is another place that you will find yourself frequenting. You can adjust quite a few of the board's features here.
You can tweak some of the options for the iROG configuration as well as the RC connect.
As with other ROG boards, you can enable or disable all of the onboard peripherals in one swoop.
Of course, we cannot forget the ASUS fan options. As the RIIIG is very obviously a LAN motherboard, ASUS has made sure to include some great fan controls to ensure that you can get the best cooling with the amount of noise you are willing to put up with.
Going into the overclocking section of this review, the RIIIG has a lot to live up to. Its older brother was able to reach a lab record of 4.5GHz with our 980X on air. We were expecting quite a bit.
Right out the gate the RIIIG showed us its potential. We were able to get into Windows at 180x25, but things were far from stable. We were only able to complete one of our tests before the system started rebooting. After that we dialled things back until finally at 174x25 we found stability. This gives the RIIIG a top clock of 4.36GHz, which is really not too bad.
You can see the validation for the i7 980X on the ASUS Rampage III Gene here.
When we installed the RIIIG we ran into something of a dilemma. We could not find TurboV to install. We checked the DVD-ROM, we checked the website. No TurboV listed. Finally, as we had seen AI Suite II on the list of utilities, we decided to install that. Much to our surprise AI Suite II is not what it used to be. It seems that now it is a catch-all for a number of applications including TurboV EVO.
When you first launch AI Suite II you get a toolbar. Clicking on the buttons will open up a menu with a certain amount of tools. Under the tools heading we found TurboV EVO. Of course, there are other features to be found in the new software, but we are more concerned with TurboV EVO and its new design.
I have to say that this new look is quite impressive. The red background ties in with the mystique that the ROG boards have and the Rampage series in particular. You still have the usual tools (CPU LevelUP, TurboKey etc) found in TurboV and by being combined into the AI Suite II it now adds more value to the tool.
Interestingly enough, you can also change the looks and skin of which controls the look of the whole AI Suite.
As with all of the ROG boards, the RIIIG has RC Connect feature and the RCTweakIT software. It works the same on the RIIIG as it does on the other boards in the ROG line.
As all overclocking results are dependent on the hardware you use, your results may vary. Results of our overclocking tests are included in the performance section with the stock scores.
Important Editor Note: Our maximum overclocking result is the best result we managed in our limited time of testing the motherboard. Due to time constraints we weren't able to tweak the motherboard to the absolute maximum and find the highest possible FSB, as this could take days to find properly. We do however spend at least a few hours overclocking every motherboard to try and find the highest possible overclock in that time frame. You may or may not be able to overclock higher if you spend more time tweaking or as new BIOS updates are released. "Burn-in" time might also come into play if you believe in that.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- NVIDIA: Just Cause 3 engine 'incompatible with multi-GPU solutions'
- Report claims mobile broadband is more affordable than ever
- It's Not Too Late - Our Cyber Monday Sale Continues Today
- Google Street View used to monitor climate change
- OnePlus clarifies charging cable claims, not blaming suppliers
- conroe 1333dvi/h beta bios
- Tenda AC15 AC1900 Dual-Band Wireless Router Review
- Q9550 P5Q Pro overclock
- Asrock 970 Pro3 R2 Freezes Randomnly
- Foscam FI9821P 720p HD Wireless IP Camera Review
- Synthesio Announces Janet Megdadi As Chief Revenue Officer
- Polk BOOM Adds to Ready 4 Anything Speaker Family with New Swimmer Duo and Swimmer Jr.
- Viper SmartStart 4.0 Now Lets You Control Your Car from Your Wrist
- Gemalto Payment HSM Supports Cloud Tokenization Requirements for Secure Mobile Payment Transactions and Digitization of Credit Card Credentials
- ALL-METAL LG ZERO BRINGS TOGETHER LUXURIOUS DESIGN WITH BEST CAMERA TECHNOLOGY