So far most of the USB 3.0 products we've looked at have been designed for inside the home. Their plastic piano black cases, bulky power supplies and odd shapes have made them virtually useless for users on the move looking for real portable solutions. It is a bit surprising that most of these products that have mainly been little more than proof of concept enclosures have cost so much more than their USB 2.0 parts that they are replacing.
LaCie is out to change that and has released a new USB 3.0 enclosure that ditches the fancy plastic and bulky power supply and replaces it with aluminum and cushioning rubber. The LaCie Rugged is the first real USB 3.0 external HDD we have tested and would even consider portable in the true sense of the word.
USB 3.0 has been synonymous with high cost till now, too, something that we didn't like when reviewing the Buffalo DriveStation HD-HXU3. GIGABYTE has done everything they can to insure that USB 3.0 is available on every desktop motherboard, from the low cost commodity boards used to build office machines to the latest super board, the X58A-UD9. These products placed a lot of USB 3.0 ports in the market, the first step in a total USB 3.0 take over.
Now that USB 3.0 ports are out there in the wild, the accompanying products can follow and start to gain some market share as well. Keeping the price reasonable is a key to how fast USB 3.0 will grow. The LaCie Rugged has that part covered, we were able to find the 500GB version for less than 150 USD.
Let's take a look at what the LaCie Rugged USB 3.0 500GB HDD has to offer.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [The Packaging]
- Page 4 [The LaCie Rugged USB 3.0 500GB External HDD]
- Page 5 [Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - HD Tach]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Crystal Disk Mark]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - AS SSD]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Apple's upcoming 21.5-inch iMac should feature a 4K display
- ASUS unveils a new super-powered gaming notebook that is watercooled
- Every single Deus Ex game can be purchased for under $7 right now
- Forza Motorsport 6 launch trailer is here, 1080p 60FPS on the Xbox One
- 6S Marketing hopes Apple names new phone the iPhone 7, not iPhone 6s
- Windows 10 Pro 64bit on GA990FXA-UD3 R5 advice for USB3 problem
- Seagate Game Drive 2TB Xbox STEA2000403 Add-on Storage Device Review
- How can you find updated drivers like people post to this site all the time?
- Are these the same?
- Really Need help with Asmedia SATA Bios/Drivers settings
- SEAGATE DELIVERS INDUSTRY'S BROADEST PORTFOLIO OF 8TB HARD DRIVES
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015