I ran a small series of tests on the unit to see how well it performed on both a standard speed system and an overclocked one. The base system consisted of:
- Antec SX1030 Tower Case
- Abit KT7 (non-RAID)
- Thunderbird 1000
- Arctic Silver Thermal Compound
- 256MB PC133 CAS2 SDRAM
- Creative Annihilator2 GTS w/ 32MB
- Sound Blaster Live
- Western Digital 20.5GB @ 7200 rpm
I ran the tests with the processor clocked to 1000MHz and then again at 1100MHz. The overclocking was done by FSB settings to try to create a hotter processor. This gave results that showed how well it performs under both normal and excessive conditions. The testing itself consisted of monitoring the processor temperatures when the system was idle, after a heavy deathmatch of Quake3, and then after a looping of the demo included in 3dMark2001.
Remember that I always want to keep temperatures under 50C, and prefer to keep them under 45C. As you can see, this unit was able to keep pace with that preference with no problems at all. Since the entire AMD line of processors like to run hot, it's up to you to keep them at a reasonable level.
After running the tests, I finally realized why everyone has such a high regard for these units. They are just awesome coolers period! I tried everything that I could to get it to read at 50C or higher and failed. I even pushed the speed up some more just to try to find something that was substandard about it's performance and failed again. Then I cranked up the FSB even more to really strain it's abilities (and trying to hit that 50C mark) and failed yet once again.
Folks, if you are in the market for a performance cooling solution, then please allow me to introduce you to the GlobalWin FOP-38. It is an outstanding heatsink/fan combination that is absolutely out of this world. Even when I went above and beyond in an attempt to hit this unit's boiling point, it held it's own and performed flawlessly. Yes, it has a few little annoyances like the thermal tape and the base not being lapped, but in terms of sheer cooling, this unit is a definite winner.
Rating - 9/10
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Access over 300,000 TV shows with SelectTV
- VW tease electric vehicle, 300 miles on 15-minute charge
- Defense Department wants AI war technology expansion
- IFA 2016: What to expect at Europe's biggest tech show
- Sony's PS4 Neo sketched by Foxconn worker
- Samsung EVO 256GB microSDXC Memory Card Review
- Asrock z170 gaming k4/d3 and the f-stream tuning program
- I Need A Fan Controller
- ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 not posting - error 69, 72, ......
- Memory Slot Issue - Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac
- HyperX introduces new ALLOY gaming keyboard
- ADATA launches the ultimate SU800SATA 6Gb/s 3D NAND SSD
- CAPE Audio shakes up the headphone industry with the release of Rebellion Headphones
- Tesoro announces ambidextrous, White Sharur SE Spectrum gaming mouse
- Eurocom launches worlds first GTX 1080 SLI VR-Ready laptop