The BIOS on the ASRock 880G Extreme3 is simple, yet powerful. They stuffed almost everything onto one single page. This page is the OC Tweaker page (hmmm, sounds a lot like AI Tweaker).
The Turbo50 profile is located right at the top.
There are also a couple of overclock methods. The one we used was the async.
The ASRock 880G Extreme3 has some nice features for letting you adjust the multiplier (and overall clock speed) of each CPU core.
The RAM dividers are a little limited, but it is nice to be able to store OC profiles.
There were some odd settings in the memory configuration, but they did not seem to affect anything.
The rest of the BIOS is pretty straight forward and has the typical options you would expect.
Overclocking the 880G Extreme3 was fairly easy. ASRock has made sure that the board is responsive to the demands of pushing the system. However, it does seem rather picky on the RAM front. I have been able to push the Kingston RAM to a little over 1600MHz before, but not on the 880G Extreme3. For some reason when I pushed the RAM close to 1600MHz the board would drop the video. I could be sitting at the desktop and the screen would go blank.
I also noticed that the voltage listings for RAM seemed to be a little off. To get an even 1.65V for the RAM I had to set it to 1.659. In the end at my stable clock of 251x16 I backed the RAM only down to 1338MHz which keeps it right around the default speed.
You can see the validation for the Phenom II X6 on the 880G Extreme3 here.
The ASRock OC Tuner software looks quite cheesy. You would think that in this day of computer graphics they could have come up with something a little better looking.
One of the issues that I did run into using this software was that pushing the system to 251MHz clocked the RAM over 1600MHz. This caused the system to fail (again) as the graphics relying on a combination of sideport memory and the installed RAM could not deal with that speed.
Still, you do have options to do some minor tinkering with this software. However, it is not an enthusiast level overclocking tool.
As all overclocking results are dependent on the hardware you use, your results may vary (even using the same exact same hardware configuration). Results of our overclocking tests are included in the performance section with the stock scores.
Important Editor Note: Our maximum overclocking result is the best result we managed in our limited time of testing the motherboard. Due to time constraints we weren't able to tweak the motherboard to the absolute maximum and find the highest possible FSB, as this could take days to find properly. We do however spend at least a few hours overclocking every motherboard to try and find the highest possible overclock in that time frame. You may or may not be able to overclock higher if you spend more time tweaking or as new BIOS updates are released. "Burn-in" time might also come into play if you believe in that.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Get Trained (and Certified) in Cloud Computing for $39
- Take to the campaign trail with The Political Machine 2016
- Rise of the Tomb Raider's latest patch improves HBAO+, and more
- Twitter has shut down over 125,000 accounts for promoting terrorism
- Google AI, Go champ match will be broadcast live on YouTube in March
- ASrock z170 extreme 7+ Post code 00
- Apacer Panther DDR4-2666 16GB Dual-Channel Memory Kit Review
- Gigabyte GA-x79-UP4 rev1.0
- Help with N56VB notebook screen
- Intel MOBO with Fast POST boot time
- HIDEO KOJIMA AND GUILLERMO DEL TORO CONFIRMED AS D.I.C.E. SUMMIT KEYNOTE SPEAKERS
- Toshiba Introduces the Next Generation OCZ Trion 150 Series Solid-State Drive Series
- Thermaltake Kicks Off 2016 MFC (Modding Fighting Championship)
- AMD Offers New Thermal Solutions and New Processors for Reliable, Near-Silent Performance
- Thermaltake and First Green Partner Aria PC Technology Join to Promote the Smart Power Management (SPM) Platform