We had achieved 725MHz without voltage adjustment when we first overclocked the GTX 465. With voltage adjustment I figured if we could get another 50MHz on top of that an article was worthwhile. So when I started overclocking I started at around 775MHz.
As we moved the core up and up (and up and up), though, with runs of Vantage between each increase to see that it was stable, it just became scary as to how much performance was on tap here. We're really not that far behind a GTX 480 which sits at twice the price. And yes, while you can overclock that card and the GTX 470 and the HD 5870, you're just not going to see these kinds of gains as far as percentages go. We know that because when we look at our Total Value Graph the only card that comes close to it is the GTX 465 without Voltage Adjustment and the GTX 470 with it.
What's also great is that at 100% the fan was bearable. Considering over the past few months I've dealt with cards outputting in excess of 80dB 100% and an under 70dB noise level was reasonable. When you look at the temps the card threw at us as well, it's clear that we could probably drop the fan speed slightly.
The GTX 400 series might have gotten off to a bit of a shaky start, which is something we've said before, but it's becoming clear that NVIDIA are really finding their legs. More importantly we're coming to a point where ATI should become worried. Rumor is that the GTX 460 is going to be a strong overclocker and let's be honest, if what we're seeing here is anything to go by, we've got no reason to not believe them.
I already thought that NVIDIA had done a good job with the GTX 465. Its performance at 1920 x 1200 was strong and the fact it was priced under $300 meant I felt it was priced correctly. Afterburner and its voltage adjustment ability just opens the floodgates to a whole new level of performance.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [MSI GTX 465 Twin Frozr II Overclocked w/ Voltage Adjustment]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup and 3DMark Vantage]
- Page 4 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - CINEBENCH]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Resident Evil 5]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X.]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Darkest of Days]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Batman Arkham Asylum]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Dark Void]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Elcomsoft Wireless Security Auditor]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - Badaboom]
- Page 16 [Temperature Test]
- Page 17 [Sound Test]
- Page 18 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 19 [Total Performance Rating (TPR)]
- Page 20 [Total Value Rating (TVR)]
- Page 21 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.