The AIC MiniBOD isn't going to be for everyone, but its feature set and performance would be coveted by all power users and enthusiasts. For less than half of the cost of the MiniBOD you could add two internal 5.25", four 2.5" form factor drive bays to your computer, one option that has been used many times with SAS drives in workstations. Moving that workstation then becomes the issue and since most of these powerful systems weigh fifty pounds or more, it is not a very attractive option. The AIC MiniBOD solves the problem of moving your data in a convent way, but you will need a controller card at each of your locations. Adding to that, you need matching controller cards that are setup identically. The good thing about the LSI card we used for testing is that it can import the settings from the array leaving little chance of making a mistake while getting setup at a second location.
In the past we have looked at other MiniSAS connected products and some of them even used 2.5" form factor drives, but none were designed for portability. The good thing about the AIC MiniBOD is that portability wasn't just an afterthought; it was designed from the ground up to be a portable solution. To my knowledge and after looking extensively online the AIC MiniBOD is the only product available in this portable, high performance category. There might not be too many people looking for such a solution, but if the need to move your array between a pair of locations is a problem AIC does have the MiniBOD to solve the issue.
The build quality of the AIC MiniBOD is very good and you can see in it that AIC has taken knowledge from their enterprise products and used it when designing the MiniBOD. AIC is part of T Win, a company that has been making high quality enterprise storage components for many years. Most of those products were sold under other brand names, but the company is now looking to bring many of their own designs to market under the AIC label.
The AIC MiniBOD has an MSRP of 640.00 USD, but we were able to find it online through Provantage for 462.39. While searching I was able to find the MiniBOD at several e-tail outlets with prices ranging from the Provantage price of 462 and going all the way up to 636 USD.
For a user looking for a portable solution the price is nearly irrelevant since the MiniBOD is the only product to offer these unique features. Even though that is the case, at under 500 USD for an enclosure built to such high specifications the MiniBOD is quite a bargain.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Skylake-powered Retina MacBook models are on their way
- HTC co-founder gets a second job at a visual effects company
- Razer announces a new customizable Xbox One controller for $150
- Secure, Powerful Hard Drive Storage for 20% Off
- Turtle Beach shows off Star Wars Battlefront-themed headphones
- MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Lightning Video Card Review
- Buffalo WXR-1900DHP DD-WRT NXT AC1900 Wireless Router Review
- ASRock Extreme4 x99 boot failure with more than 2 G.SKILL F4-3000C15D-16GRBB
- [Share]Lorkag GOP updater tool for AMD and NVIDIA VBIOS
- AMD Radeon R9 Nano Preview - Fiji and HBM Go Under the Shrink Ray
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015
- SilverStone Accessories - Expansion Cards - ECM20