PCMark Vantage - Hard Disk Tests
Version and / or Patch Used: 1.0.0
Developer Homepage: http://www.futuremark.com
Product Homepage: http://www.futuremark.com/benchmarks/pcmark-vantage/
Buy It Here
PCMark Vantage is the first objective hardware performance benchmark for PCs running 32 and 64 bit versions of Microsoft Windows Vista. PCMark Vantage is perfectly suited for benchmarking any type of Microsoft Windows Vista PC from multimedia home entertainment systems and laptops to dedicated workstations and high-end gaming rigs. Regardless of whether the benchmarker is an artist or an IT Professional, PCMark Vantage shows the user where their system soars or falls flat, and how to get the most performance possible out of their hardware. PCMark Vantage is easy enough for even the most casual enthusiast to use yet supports in-depth, professional industry grade testing.
FutureMark has developed a good set of hard disk tests for their PCMark Vantage Suite. Windows users can count on Vantage to show them how a drive will perform in normal day to day usage scenarios. For most users these are the tests that matter since many of the old hat ways to measure performance have become ineffective to measure true Windows performance.
HDD1 - Windows Defender
HDD2 - Gaming
HDD3 - Windows Photo Gallery
HDD4 - Vista Startup
HDD5 - Windows Movie Maker
HDD6 - Windows Media Center
HDD7 - Windows Media Player
HDD8 - Application Loading
There are quite a few points to look at in this set of results that show how a drive will perform with Windows 7 as a boot drive. Let's start from the bottom and work our way up.
If you have every read an SSD review before you have surely heard the author talk about how much faster solid state is over even the fastest platter hard drive. In this test you can see it for yourself. The Corsair Force dominates the latest Western Digital VelociRaptor in all tests. The difference is quite staggering and at this point you can call the 600GB VelociRaptor a dinosaur when it comes to working as a boot drive for Windows.
Next up is the Intel X25-M Generation 2 80GB and Indilinx Barefoot (Corsair Nova). Here we see that both controllers work very well with the performance edge going to Intel and the capacity going to Indilinx. For this generation we always felt that the capacity lead from the Indilinx Barefoot left users in a better position and one that Intel's speed advantage just couldn't make up for. Both of these drives use older technology that is now surpassed by the SandForce products. Looking at the Corsair F120 and comparing it to last year's standouts it is clear that the Corsair Force Series is a stronger product in all tests. The F120 is superior and in many cases by a large margin.
Last but not least. If you are in the market for an over 100GB SSD or to put it more accurately, have between 300 and 400 USD to spend on a new SSD then you are already trying to gauge between the Crucial RealSSD C300 and a SandForce drive. In this capacity (and price) category the Corsair Force F120 is a higher performer in nearly but not all tests. Some of the tests show very close result but at other times the F120 nearly doubles the performance of the C300 128GB drive.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Get Trained (and Certified) in Cloud Computing for $39
- Take to the campaign trail with The Political Machine 2016
- Rise of the Tomb Raider's latest patch improves HBAO+, and more
- Twitter has shut down over 125,000 accounts for promoting terrorism
- Google AI, Go champ match will be broadcast live on YouTube in March
- I am the new guy
- The Hateful Eight (2015) Cinema Movie Review
- SSD compatibility
- ASrock z170 extreme 7+ Post code 00
- Apacer Panther DDR4-2666 16GB Dual-Channel Memory Kit Review
- ESL Hearthstone Legendary Series returns to IntelÃ'Â® Extreme Masters Katowice 2016
- HIDEO KOJIMA AND GUILLERMO DEL TORO CONFIRMED AS D.I.C.E. SUMMIT KEYNOTE SPEAKERS
- Toshiba Introduces the Next Generation OCZ Trion 150 Series Solid-State Drive Series
- Thermaltake Kicks Off 2016 MFC (Modding Fighting Championship)
- AMD Offers New Thermal Solutions and New Processors for Reliable, Near-Silent Performance