As I mentioned in the beginning, I was never a big user of fan controllers, and if they were used, they were constantly running at full speed out of laziness. That did sometimes lead to issues, since I have my computers in the same room I do audio testing for coolers. It usually resulted in the need to power down the PCs to kill the fan noise. Even worse, my "better half's" PC sits right next to the T.E.C.C. test box, and I don't care for the looks and grief I get when I have to ask here to kill the power in the middle of the SIMS3. With this handy external fan controller from NZXT, the Sentry LXE offers me the ease to just grab the unit and drop the fan speeds, get my readings, keep her gaming, all with just a few simple touches.
Not only is this the coolest looking fan controller I have seen, it is reminiscent of the old ABIT clock I never bought for my old boards. Times have changed, and since ABIT went down the tubes, there is no need for the clock anymore, but this NZXT gives me a similar look and almost total control of temperatures, fan speeds, and will even announce when things are getting too hot. The options list for this fan controller is just huge; it seems like no matter how much I try to cover, I feel like I am overlooking things. Let me try to recap! Real time temperature and fan speed readings set to refresh every two seconds, manual and auto settings for control, date and time, alarms, the option to turn off the unit when not in use (while keeping the functionality), and the Sentry LXE is super sexy to look at. Oh, right, and of course the unit is portable and can sit anywhere within the length of that seven foot cable.
NZXT has pretty much covered all the basics, and more. The solid feel of the LXE is due to the thick aluminum, but leaves a unit that is heavy enough to stay where it's put, while the material choice makes for attractive aesthetics. Once I played around with it for a couple minutes, I found the LXE to be very functional and simple to program. I would have liked to have gotten a few zip ties included in the kit, as there are two foot of each fan power wire and temperature probe to contend with. Aside from that, I don't think NZXT missed anything. With an MSRP of $59.99, and most fan controllers already in existence asking similar prices, I think NZXT not only offers an "out of the box", very user friendly controller, but the Sentry LXE chocked full of features isn't going to burn a bigger hole in your wallet than the inferior choices around. Any way I look at it, the Sentry LXE from NZXT has found a permanent spot both in my heart, and on my significant others desk.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 3 [Packaging]
- Page 4 [The NZXT Sentry LXE High Performance Fan Controller]
- Page 5 [Accessories and Documentation]
- Page 6 [Powering, Settings and the Finished Product]
- Page 7 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Huawei unveils the Watch 2 and Watch 2 Classic
- Enter the 'Doctor Strange' world in our Blu-ray giveaway
- Huawei unveils the P10 and P10 Plus
- R.I.P. Bill Paxton 1955-2017
- Iconic Nokia 3310 is now official and comes with Snake
- Will the PC-Q17 ever be released in the U.S?
- Blind BIOS update both backup and main BIOS chips are empty
- Main and backup BIOS are damaged or wipped
- Halo Wars 2 Xbox One Review
- Asus Zenfone 2 Laser 5.5s rear camera is not working
- LG unveils new G6 with a large fullvision display tailored to fit in one hand
- Introducing LG XPower2 with high capacity battery designed for demanding users
- Enjoy incredible performance of AMD RYZEN with BIOSTAR X370GT5 motherboard
- COLORFUL introduces iGameGTX1080 X-TOP-8G Advanced video card
- Team Group introduces its fastest SSD for gamers with T-FORCE CARDEA M.2 SSD