The Foxconn H55MX-S is not a pretty board. I am not saying it is ugly or anything like that, but it is certainly not as stylish as the A9DA-S.
The H55MX-S is based on a Micro-ATX design. This design is a very popular one for entry level and HTPC systems. It keeps things clean and only gives you the basics for what you need. With the H55 Express chipset onboard, you do not even get RAID.
Looking at the upper portion of the board, we see the standard connections. Well, sort of. The H55MX-S has only two slots for RAM and also is equipped with the one thing that most people (entry level or not) will not be using. This is a floppy connector. Out of all the things that could have been put here, I am not sure why a floppy was the choice. I can understand not wanting to spend money on a PATA controller, but I would have thought USB headers or something of that nature would have been a better choice here.
Around the CPU we do see that Foxconn went the extra step and used solid capacitors; unfortunately they did not extend this to the chokes. From the looks of the chokes and the voltage regulators, this is probably not the most power efficient motherboard. I guess it is a good thing that it is not intended for high-performance usage.
Taking a quick look at the lower half of the board, we see the entry level/HTPC trend continuing in the slots available. There is a single x16 and a x4 PCIe slot combined with two PCI 2.0 slots. We also see that Foxconn did not use solid capacitors for everything on the board. We see some traditional ones lurking in a cluster on the lower left hand corner.
You also get six SATA 2.0 ports on the board. However, the first two can be rendered useless by a long GPU. Of course, this is not likely to happen on this entry level board, but it is still important to note.
The ports are what you should be getting with a H55 based board. They are anticipating the use of a Clarkdale CPU+GPU processor.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Secure, Powerful Hard Drive Storage for 20% Off
- Turtle Beach shows off Star Wars Battlefront-themed headphones
- Head of Islamic State Cyber Caliphate killed by drone strike
- Scosche launches the boomBOTTLE+ waterproof Bluetooth speaker
- XCOM 2 delayed to 2016 on all platforms
- MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Lightning Video Card Review
- Buffalo WXR-1900DHP DD-WRT NXT AC1900 Wireless Router Review
- ASRock Extreme4 x99 boot failure with more than 2 G.SKILL F4-3000C15D-16GRBB
- [Share]Lorkag GOP updater tool for AMD and NVIDIA VBIOS
- AMD Radeon R9 Nano Preview - Fiji and HBM Go Under the Shrink Ray
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015
- SilverStone Accessories - Expansion Cards - ECM20