When you first take a look at the model compared to the HD 5850 you would be quick to think it doesn't look all that great. You then look at our TPR graph and see that compared to the HD 5830 it's faster and compared to the HD 5850 it falls behind by about 10%.
The HD 5850 isn't cheap, though. Looking at NewEgg.com, we see the most basic one at $299.99 which is from Biostar and upgraded cooling / overclocked ones going well beyond $300 at some points. The GTX 465 is actually really well priced. Like anything, it would've been nice if it was cheaper, but unlike the HD 5830 which didn't come in at the best price point, the GTX 465 has come in at a really good one.
I think we'll also see some companies get aggressive which will bring the price down even more which really is fantastic news. When you start to dissect the model, it's ultimately really quite good.
It's easy to go through the graphs and see that just about in every test the card falls behind the HD 5850. It's also easy to forget that the GTX 465 is under $300. It's also easy to forget that it's not plagued with the same gripes that we had with the GTX 470 and GTX 480 at launch and it's also really easy to forget the GTX 465 offers both PhysX and CUDA support.
SLI scaling on the GTX 400 series has proven to be great and the GTX 470 has proved to be a fantastic overclocker. The big question we need to answer now is how does the GTX 465 overclock and how does it scale in SLI? - Oh, and how does it go in SLI when overclocked?! - These are questions that are going to be answered throughout the week so keep an eye on TweakTown for all the latest.
What we're not happy with? The bundle's pretty light, but that's typical of NVIDIA cards. The only other issues? - We have the same issue with this card as we do with every video card on the market; we wish it was cheaper and we wish it was faster. But as I said before, we wish that from everything, be it video cards to CPUs to cars.
The GTX 465 is ultimately an impressive model. Its out of the box performance looks better than the GTX 470 and we don't mean looks better in the sense it's faster, but looks better in the sense of the price, the power, the noise and the heat. We're also hoping that its OC potential is as good as the GTX 470 which has impressed us.
The latest 257 driver and a good price point make this a really good model. What makes it particularly stand out, though, is that it runs at a good temperature, isn't loud and doesn't draw copious amounts of power.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Package]
- Page 3 [The Card and Specifications]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup and 3DMark Vantage]
- Page 5 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - CINEBENCH]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Resident Evil 5]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - BattleForge]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X.]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Darkest of Days]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Batman Arkham Asylum]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Dark Void]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - Elcomsoft Wireless Security Auditor]
- Page 16 [Benchmarks - Badaboom]
- Page 17 [Temperature Test]
- Page 18 [Sound Test]
- Page 19 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 20 [Total Performance Rating (TPR)]
- Page 21 [Total Value Rating (TVR)]
- Page 22 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Acer shows off Chromebook R 11, a convertible Chromebook
- Vantage Robotics shows off Snap, a safe drone with a 4K camera
- Star Wars: Battlefront won't have server browsers on PC
- We are looking for a professional YouTuber for video content
- Digitize Photos, Important Files, and More in 8 Seconds
- Seagate Backup Plus STDA4000100 4TB External Portable HDD Review
- GA-Z97X Gaming 7 + Samsung SM951 256 gb
- SanDisk Connect Stick 64GB Wireless Flash Drive Review
- GA-EP45-UD3R doesn't boot with Dual Channel (After Clean PC)
- carvedilol 3.125 mg information. Purchase online.
- SEAGATE DELIVERS INDUSTRY'S BROADEST PORTFOLIO OF 8TB HARD DRIVES
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015