To give an idea as to how this unit performed against other real world drives, I did some testing on a number of units around the home, office, and even some tests on systems that are used by my friends. To make it simple, I've made it into a graph so that the results will stand out.
Results - Drive Rating
The Kenwood unit took a bounding lead in this category, but that was expected considering that it is rated at 72x. Surprisingly, the DVD unit took the 52x CD-ROM drive from Creative and had it for a little snack. Results like this are helping me decide that I made a very sound decision in changing out my drive.
Results - Access Times (milliseconds, lower is better)
The Creative burner didn't fare well at all in this test, but then again, it's not really meant for this kind of workload to begin with. The DVD drive placed pretty much in the middle ground, but considering that acting as a CD-ROM is its secondary function, this isn't too bad at all. It even beat out the Kenwood Uber-Drive in its random access times.
Results - CPU Usage (Lower is better)
CPU usage is a rather important, but often overlooked test that I wanted to include. You can have the fastest drive in the world, but if it's eating up all your CPU cycles, then it's really kind of worthless. Its almost like trying to run a marathon with a steel ball tied to your ankle. The Pioneer drive held it's own and showed a very consistent 2% CPU usage across the board. This bodes well since your system will have plenty of horsepower left to actually do something with all the data that is being transferred to it.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Das Keyboard takes $20 off keyboards, $0 shipping for holiday sales
- Remedy has finished the 'shivering' end scene in Quantum Break
- Razer injects chromatic flavor into Lenovo's new gaming PC lineup
- NVIDIA's GeForce GTX 900 series price drops for the holidays
- Rumor: Sony unlocks PS4's seventh core to boost performance
- NEed help setting bios
- Sharp GX-BT7 2.1-Channel Wireless Bluetooth Speaker Review
- D-Link DCS-2630L 1080p Ultra-Wide View IP Wi-Fi Camera Review
- ID-Cooling Frostflow 240L CPU Liquid Cooler Review
- Lexar JumpDrive M20i 32GB OTG iOS Flash Drive Review
- BRAVEN Balance, the Active Lifestyle Bluetooth Speaker Now Available
- COGITO FIT WINS DESIGN FOR ASIA AWARD
- SP/ Silicon Power Announces Flagship CompactFlash Memory Card - Superior CF 1100X Born For Ultimate Performance
- Team Group Announces Neptune Gaming SO-DIMM Memory
- Cooltek Announces the Skall Series ATX Mid-tower Chassis