Specifications, Pricing and Availability
At this time OCZ is not planning on discontinuing the 50, 100, 200 or 400GB drives. If market demand for the non-E models shrinks considerably then it only makes sense for OCZ to remove them from the lineup. There are rumors about being able to change a drive back and forth between the standard and extended capacity, but this is something we will not know about for another month or more. I spoke with a few companies other than OCZ on Friday and neither was even considering making this available to end users since the update software would need to be validated on many systems. They were considering having end users mail in their standard drives and getting an extended drive back in return. OCZ is at least being open-minded about end user upgrades. It is still far too early to say one way or the other, but we can completely understand the complexity of the issue after watching Crucial's latest firmware update issues unfold.
On the surface we have an OCZ Vertex 2 that has been changed from having 100GB capacity to 120GB (before Windows formatting). Both the E and standard drives use the same product page on OCZ's website and the same spec sheet. There are different product SKUs, but we expected that. Our sample drive from OCZ arrived with 100GB capacity stickers on the package and on the drive. The odd thing was the package was shrink-wrapped, but a 120GB part was inside. All OCZ will need to do is change a couple of stickers to new stickers and be ready for the launch. Parts were shipped last week to US resellers, but the US OCZ office didn't have the new package to send over since they just left Taiwan the day before.
As if available capacity wasn't enough to get excited about, we know and worked with one e-tail shop that is going to blow the door off current SSD pricing. My Digital Discount, one of the leading suppliers of SSDs in the US and the place we turn to for the cheapest SSD prices advertised online, just took a chain saw to the floor and let prices fall an entire story. On top of deeply discounted parts OCZ is also chipping in an additional 20 Dollar mail-in rebate for the Vertex 2 E. The value doesn't stop there since MDD is also kicking in a free USB 2.0 external drive enclosure with instructions and downloadable software that will clone your current boot drive so you don't even have to reformat or install Windows.
Above is a snippet from the advertisement MyDigitalDiscount.com will use for the special promotion put together by MDD and OCZ Technology. Just last month we were excited to see Indilinx Barefoot drives being offered for 350 USD in 128GB capacity. Seeing not only SF-1200's, but the cream of the crop Vertex 2 at 350 USD is unbelievable! At the time of writing the special promo page was not ready, but here are the links to each drives' page at My Digital Discount; 60GB for 189.99, 120GB for 349.99 and the massive 240GB drive for 699.99. For comparison, Newegg lists the standard 100GB Vertex 2 for 409.00 USD at the time of writing. It is almost like My Digital Discount is one of your high school buddies who just happens to own a computer shop and gives you that good buddy price. You should take them out for drinks one night with prices like these.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Star Wars: Battlefront won't have server browsers on PC
- We are looking for a professional YouTuber for video content
- Digitize Photos, Important Files, and More in 8 Seconds
- We are looking for a US-based news reporter, join our awesome team!
- How Fallout 4's perk system might work
- Seagate Backup Plus STDA4000100 4TB External Portable HDD Review
- GA-Z97X Gaming 7 + Samsung SM951 256 gb
- SanDisk Connect Stick 64GB Wireless Flash Drive Review
- GA-EP45-UD3R doesn't boot with Dual Channel (After Clean PC)
- carvedilol 3.125 mg information. Purchase online.
- SEAGATE DELIVERS INDUSTRY'S BROADEST PORTFOLIO OF 8TB HARD DRIVES
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015