The Galaxy version of the GTX 470 fixes the two biggest issues we have with the model; the heat and the noise. The noise is clearly at a respectable level while the heat is almost there. It still runs a little warm, but nothing like the reference version. You have to wonder, though, why did NVIDIA opt for the cooler they did on this model and not try and get something that could cool the card better.
As for overall performance, there's a nice little bump. In saying that, though, it would've been nice to see Galaxy do a little bit more with the overclock. Hopefully in the future they'll release a more aggressively clocked version of the card, because when looking at the temps and noise levels we can't see why they couldn't get more out of the model.
On the bundle front it's a little light. Actually, it's very light, but the fact that you're paying the same price as a reference GTX 470 with better cooling, quieter operation and faster performance, who are we to complain?
We have to wonder what would've happened if NVIDIA spent just another few weeks on the model before releasing it. You can see that not long after launch Galaxy has been able to do a bit with the model and made it a more serious contender in the market.
The other good news is that Galaxy has uploaded the latest version of Xtreme Tuner HD to their website which is supposed to give us the ability to adjust the core voltage. Having already downloaded it, I'll be attacking the card very soon with it. Off the reference GTX 470 we saw some good performance gains when it came to overclocking, but heat and noise were still an issue. I'm hoping that with the heatsink/fan redesign we can get even more out of this particular model.
Sticking to the $349.99 price tag is probably one of the best things that Galaxy has done. This is a great version of the card and the R&D team are quick and responsive. Galaxy has shown us that they're ready to rock and roll with the new GTX 400 line-up. We really can't wait to see what the company does with the GTX 480 and the new mainstream GTX 465 that is due in the coming weeks.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Package]
- Page 3 [The Card and Specifications]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup and 3DMark Vantage]
- Page 5 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - CINEBENCH]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Resident Evil 5]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - BattleForge]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X.]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Darkest of Days]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Batman Arkham Asylum]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Dark Void]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - Elcomsoft Wireless Security Auditor]
- Page 16 [Benchmarks - Badaboom]
- Page 17 [Temperature and Sound Tests]
- Page 18 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 19 [Total Performance Rating (TPR)]
- Page 20 [Total Value Rating (TVR)]
- Page 21 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Mass Effect: Andromeda on PC is Origin exclusive
- Nintendo sues company for real life Mario Kart racing
- Horizon Zero Dawn launch trailer, first patches detailed
- Mass Effect Andromeda PC requirements released
- Obsidian wants to make a Dark Souls-type game
- Asus Zenfone 2 Laser 5.5s rear camera is not working
- ASUS ROG SWIFT PG258Q: Crazy Fast Gaming @ 1080p 240Hz
- Cannot access the BIOS on a laptop
- Extreme6 Z97 and Samsung M.2 EVO 960 setup
- BIOSTAR RACING B250GT5 Unboxing and User Experience
- ASRock launches a new era of performance with AMD Ryzen motherboards
- Nintendo eShop, Indie Games Ready for Nintendo Switch Launch
- Innovation and competition return to high-performance PCs March 2nd with worldwide AMD Ryzen 7 availability
- Final Fantasy awarded Guinness World Records title for most prolific role-playing game
- InstaVR launches publishing compatibility with HTC VIVE, cnabling companies to create high quality long-form VR video applications