We used PerformanceTest 6.1 by PassMark which you can find out more information about here. It has a handy Advanced Networking section which is perfect for our testing.
Doing our best to emulate a real-world performance scenario, I setup a "server" running Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) Server, (Eurocom Panther Server Xeon W5590, 12GB DDR3, 3x 500GB HDDs RAID5) and the client PCs were an MSI Wind 200 With built-in Intel 802.11n (Intel WiFi Link 5100 AGN) adapter and a HTPC computer (MSI H55 motherboard, Intel Core i5 661, 4GB DDR3 1333 memory and a Patriot SSD).
Additionally we threw in a Seagate BlackArmor NAS 440 as a video storage server for MVK files.
Testing of something like a Powerline adapter is pretty simple. You plug both in and run a bandwidth testing benchmark like Passmark as well as pushing some real world data over it. We also tested this against an 802.11n wireless network using the same tools, just to see if we saw a performance difference.
You will notice that the Powerline kits are able to maintain a very consistent speed over their connection, while the wireless can quickly degrade over distance and based on other interference factors. We saw much more consistent performance over the Powerline network for streaming video and audio (including 1080p streaming).
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- The Nokia 6 sells out in just one minute
- MSI reveals VR Jam winners
- Photo of the glass panels for the Galaxy S8 leaked
- Model S P100D runs 0-100 in 2.3 sec with latest update
- Did Obsidian just tease Fallout: New Orleans?
- Z170MX-Gaming 5 + i5 7600k.. Should work or not?
- ASRock 2.70 Splash Screen replaces Windows?
- bios update
- How to get larger than 2TB HD to work on GA-P35-DS4 Rev 2.0
- G skill Trident Z 32GB ( 2 x 16GB) DDR4 3000 Cas 15
- MSI the pioneer in VR Gaming crowns winners of VR JAM
- NGE and Twitch partner to bring the Overwatch Winter Premiere Live Finals to PAX Arena at PAX South
- Bayview Labs, Seraph Group and MIT Game Lab announce 'Play Labs' VR/AR/AI Playful Tech Accelerator for MIT students and alumni
- NZXT reveals new Puck cable management system
- Synology unveils Surveillance Station 8.0