There is one thing you have to praise JMicron on; they must have one helluva SSD controller sales team. If it wasn't shocking enough to find one of their controllers in the first Western Digital SSD, they managed to convince Patriot that a JM612 with 64MB of cache would be sellable at the 350USD price point. I would have loved to have been around for that pitch.
I think we have hammered the Zephyr enough on performance and you have already written this one off at the current price point. If you are still looking for a drive with this controller / cache configuration, but with a little more studder free firmware, there is the Kingston SSDNow V Series that currently sells at Newegg for 259 or around 100USD less than the Zephyr.
On the other end of the scale, if you can afford to spend a little more money, I found a pretty insane deal the other day at MyDigitalDiscount.com on the A-DATA S596 that uses the Indilinx Barefoot controller and only costs 309.99 USD. This is the lowest price I have seen to date on a 128GB Indilinx Barefoot controlled drive. When we reviewed the drive it shipped with an older firmware, but A-DATA now has the latest firmware on their website and the performance is quite impressive for this amount of money. ADATA has also stated to us that the S599, their SandForce SF-1200 product has an MSRP of only 380 USD in 100GB capacity and at this time is one of the fastest SSDs available on the market.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Philadelphia 76ers acquire eSports teams Dignitas, Apex
- Horizon: Zero Dawn's story will be 'hugely enjoyable'
- Microsoft axes original Forza Horizon from store
- Batman VR is finalised but Rocksteady wants to move on
- Pasadena, California to tax streaming services
- Samsung 850 EVO 4TB SATA III SSD Review
- Mirror's Edge Catalyst Graphics Performance Tweak Guide
- Prepping LGA2011 Build
- Unable to find BIOS update for motherboard
- Lian Li O Series Multiple Expansion card support
- Antec and Razer team up to co-brand a new Mini-ITX gaming chassis
- Samsung Electronics accelerates the NVMe era for consumers with its highest performing 960 PRO and EVO Solid State Drives
- Lighting is in the Aer: NZXT launches Aer RGB, premium LED PWM fans
- Syber Gaming delivers VR and 4K-ready 'C Series' small form factor gaming PC
- HyperX Gears of War gaming headset shipping now