I thought that all hardware for Mac computers had some kind of special Mac tax, a VAT like mark up that encompasses all products that can be used with a Macintosh computer. It seems that ever since Apple chose to partner with Intel, Mac users have started to catch on to some of the powerful hardware that was developed on Planet PC. Now that the hardware lines have all but merged completely, nothing has been left off of the upgrade option list and the prices for the most common upgrades have plummeted.
Other World Computing (or OWC) is an Apple specialty store that also offers their own branded products. The company showed up on our radar when we first started seeing SandForce controlled SSDs entering the market. Even now only a small handful of the dozens of companies that are planning to offer SandForce SSDs have been able to bring them to market. OWC was immune to whatever problems other manufacturers are having and has a product on the market now, but that is only half of the story.
So far we've heard all kinds of stories about SandForce SF-1200 controlled SSD pricing, but to date most of the costs have been well over the launch price of OWC's Mercury Extreme Enterprise SSD. Who would have thought that one of the best SandForce values on the market would have come from a Mac specialty shop?
Today we are going to look at the pricing and performance of the OWC Mercury 100GB SandForce SF-1200 SSD. While we work our way through the benchmarks there will be a small sub article that takes a look at three different SF-1200 drives that all shipped to us with different firmware.
Let's check out the specifications and pricing first up.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Samsung announces huge 128GB DDR4 DIMMs for enterprise, data centers
- The9 pays $500 million for five-year Chinese exclusive on Cross Fire 2
- The first screenshots from the System Shock remake arrive
- AMD's new Zen APUs to deliver Xbox One/PS4 level performance in 2017
- The first gameplay footage from Far Cry Primal has arrived
- North Bridge Frequency Locked at 4300 on Fatal1ty X99M Killer/3.1 Board
- New SSD Connections and GA-Z87X-UD5H?
- ID-Cooling Frostflow 120L CPU Liquid Cooler Review
- SanDisk Extreme 500 240GB USB 3.0 Portable SSD Review
- ID-Cooling IS-VC45 SFF CPU Cooler Review
- CYBERTRONPC OFFERS TESSERACT 15 SK NOTEBOOK, NOW WITH 6th GEN INTEL PROCESSOR AND WINDOWS 10
- HERE and the Netherlands evaluating 4G/LTE-based C-ITS road messaging system
- Sony PLAYSTATION 4 (PS4) SALES SURPASS 30.2 MILLION UNITS WORLDWIDE
- Samsung Starts Mass Producing Industry's First 128-GIGABYTE DDR4 Modules for Enterprise Servers
- LG RAY DELIVERS LARGE HD DISPLAY AND BEST-IN-CLASS CAMERAS FOR 3G MARKETS