The HD 5830 is really a great model for people who want to game at 1920 x 1200. The fact that we're also able to get playable FPS at 2560 x 1600 at times means that we've got some extra grunt there for future games when it comes to gaming at the lower 1920 x 1200 resolution.
The bundle is a little on the light side of things with GIGABYTE choosing not to include any games; it would've been nice to see Modern Warfare 2 bundled with the card since we've seen a few other companies do it, but it's not the end of the world. The big deal about the model is of course the fact that the card has an upgraded cooling solution which does a simply fantastic job of keeping temperatures down. This does come at the cost of a little more noise, but it's nothing we would be worried about.
When I first tested the HD 5830 I said that I thought it would've been nice if the card had a bit more grunt for the price. Since GIGABYTE have opted for such a nice cooler that does a good job of keeping the core temperature down, it would've been nice to see them overclock the card slightly. In saying that, though, there's nothing stopping you from doing it yourself with Overdrive which is built into the Catalyst software suite.
The Total Value Graph doesn't lie and it really does show us the value of the card. Compared to the HD 5850 it is a better valued card. Of course, if you want to game at 2560 x 1600 across the board you're going to have to buy something more powerful and as always, as we climb up the power table the price goes up and value overall tends to drop down slightly, which can be seen with the HD 5970 which is the worst valued card on the market at the moment.
If you're looking for a HD 5830 that looks mean and has a fantastic cooling system on it, the GIGABYTE version we looked at today can't be passed up.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Package]
- Page 3 [The Card and Specifications]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup and 3DMark Vantage]
- Page 5 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - CINEBENCH]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Resident Evil 5]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - BattleForge]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X.]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Darkest of Days]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Batman Arkham Asylum]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Dark Void]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - Elcomsoft Wireless Security Auditor]
- Page 16 [Temperature and Sound Tests]
- Page 17 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 18 [Total Performance Rating (TPR)]
- Page 19 [Total Value Rating (TVR)]
- Page 20 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- AMD Radeon RX Vega loses to GTX 1080 at 1080p
- Halo 6's 'compelling' story will focus on Master Chief
- AMD Radeon RX Vega bundled with Quake Champions
- Nintendo won't be at E3 2017
- AI to replace over 50% of ALL jobs in the next 10 years
- Cutting LED-Strips - LED50RGB-2
- ASUS USB-AC53 Nano AC1200 Wireless Adapter Review
- GIGABYTE Xtreme Gaming XTC700 CPU Cooler Review
- ASRock 990fx Extreme9 and NVMe support
- HDD to SSD
- Get ready for Intel Optane memory with ASRock 200 series motherboards!
- Acer unleashes the Predator Triton 700, a thin yet powerful gaming notebook without compromise
- Acer's new Predator monitors with quantum dot technology deliver spectacular gameplay experiences
- Acer expands its gaming notebook line with the powerful Predator Helios 300
- Western Digital ships fourth-generation Helium Hard Drive platform with Ultrastar He12 12TB advanced storage hard drives