Now, I am sure that many of you will read this and feel that it is a slam on the iPad. After all, I have covered many of the shortcomings of the product. But still, the iPad is not all bad. There are many items that are very good and many more that show great promise with some time and real effort on the part of Apple.
The idea behind the iPad is a good one; it is solid one. However, the controlling and proprietary nature of Apple takes what could be an outstanding product and stifles it into a mediocre one. I simply cannot wait to play with this thing once there is a jail break available for it. Once the software limitations imposed by Apple are removed, this thing will be stellar. We also hear that Apple is working on the next version of the iPhone OS. In Version 4.0 we will see a very simplistic form of multitasking, as well as a better online gaming interface (stolen from MS, Sony and Steam).
The other issue with the iPad is the storage size. If this is truly a computer that is capable of productivity work then it should have quite a bit more room to store items on it. Of course, this would take control from Apple and is not in keeping with their cloud services MobileMe. So the limitations and issues with the iPad that we talk about above are all about revenue stream and continuing to get money from your pocket. Of course, I am not opposed to a company making money, but I am when they do it in the manner Apple does.
To wrap up my rant here, the iPad is not there yet. It is overpriced and limited by the OS and Apple's xenophobic ways. We do think that a good jail break will open it up a lot more and could make one of these worthwhile (with the proper development support and apps). We hope to let you know if the 3G model with 32GB of space is better value sometime in the near future, but we are not sure if we are willing to invest that kind of money again so soon, especially considering that it will be at least $230 more than what we have already spent on the 16GB WiFi one (32GB 3G iPad is $729.00).
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Box and What's Inside]
- Page 3 [The iPad]
- Page 4 [The OS and UI]
- Page 5 [The Stock Apps - Revisited]
- Page 6 [The Stock Apps - Revisited (Cont.)]
- Page 7 [How does it work in practice]
- Page 8 [The Hidden Cost]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- ARCHOS unveils its Diamond Tab 4G/LTE tablet
- Impressive! 1 billion people used Facebook in just one day
- Valve is bundling Rocket League with the Steam Controller
- Acer is welcoming a takeover of the company after share prices tumble
- HTC will have a 'limited number' of Vive VR headsets this year
- MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Lightning Video Card Review
- Buffalo WXR-1900DHP DD-WRT NXT AC1900 Wireless Router Review
- ASRock Extreme4 x99 boot failure with more than 2 G.SKILL F4-3000C15D-16GRBB
- [Share]Lorkag GOP updater tool for AMD and NVIDIA VBIOS
- AMD Radeon R9 Nano Preview - Fiji and HBM Go Under the Shrink Ray
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015
- SilverStone Accessories - Expansion Cards - ECM20