Now, I am sure that many of you will read this and feel that it is a slam on the iPad. After all, I have covered many of the shortcomings of the product. But still, the iPad is not all bad. There are many items that are very good and many more that show great promise with some time and real effort on the part of Apple.
The idea behind the iPad is a good one; it is solid one. However, the controlling and proprietary nature of Apple takes what could be an outstanding product and stifles it into a mediocre one. I simply cannot wait to play with this thing once there is a jail break available for it. Once the software limitations imposed by Apple are removed, this thing will be stellar. We also hear that Apple is working on the next version of the iPhone OS. In Version 4.0 we will see a very simplistic form of multitasking, as well as a better online gaming interface (stolen from MS, Sony and Steam).
The other issue with the iPad is the storage size. If this is truly a computer that is capable of productivity work then it should have quite a bit more room to store items on it. Of course, this would take control from Apple and is not in keeping with their cloud services MobileMe. So the limitations and issues with the iPad that we talk about above are all about revenue stream and continuing to get money from your pocket. Of course, I am not opposed to a company making money, but I am when they do it in the manner Apple does.
To wrap up my rant here, the iPad is not there yet. It is overpriced and limited by the OS and Apple's xenophobic ways. We do think that a good jail break will open it up a lot more and could make one of these worthwhile (with the proper development support and apps). We hope to let you know if the 3G model with 32GB of space is better value sometime in the near future, but we are not sure if we are willing to invest that kind of money again so soon, especially considering that it will be at least $230 more than what we have already spent on the 16GB WiFi one (32GB 3G iPad is $729.00).
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Box and What's Inside]
- Page 3 [The iPad]
- Page 4 [The OS and UI]
- Page 5 [The Stock Apps - Revisited]
- Page 6 [The Stock Apps - Revisited (Cont.)]
- Page 7 [How does it work in practice]
- Page 8 [The Hidden Cost]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- AMD's new 17.7.2 drivers include Enhanced Sync, and more
- HTC Standalone VR headset launches in China
- GTA V tops June console earnings with new monthly high
- Nintendo Switch hits 4.7 million install base
- Huawei launches overpriced Porsche Design Watch 2
- Lian-Li PC-O5SW...Watercooling and dimensions
- Toshiba XG5 1TB OEM M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD Review
- Toshiba N300 8TB High-Reliability HDD Review
- Alphacool Eiswand External CPU Liquid Cooler Review
- Team T-Force Night Hawk RGB DDR4-3000 RAM Kit Review
- Need for Speed Payback takes cars from scrap to stock to supercar in new trailer
- Visbit releases Unity SDK and web VR player for its all-in-one VR streaming service, bringing high quality VR streaming to the masses
- GWENT Gamescom 2017 tournament announced
- Toshiba NVMe SSDs now available with Lenovo's new ThinkSystem and ThinkAgile servers
- Mafia III: Sign of the Times DLC now available