Now, I am sure that many of you will read this and feel that it is a slam on the iPad. After all, I have covered many of the shortcomings of the product. But still, the iPad is not all bad. There are many items that are very good and many more that show great promise with some time and real effort on the part of Apple.
The idea behind the iPad is a good one; it is solid one. However, the controlling and proprietary nature of Apple takes what could be an outstanding product and stifles it into a mediocre one. I simply cannot wait to play with this thing once there is a jail break available for it. Once the software limitations imposed by Apple are removed, this thing will be stellar. We also hear that Apple is working on the next version of the iPhone OS. In Version 4.0 we will see a very simplistic form of multitasking, as well as a better online gaming interface (stolen from MS, Sony and Steam).
The other issue with the iPad is the storage size. If this is truly a computer that is capable of productivity work then it should have quite a bit more room to store items on it. Of course, this would take control from Apple and is not in keeping with their cloud services MobileMe. So the limitations and issues with the iPad that we talk about above are all about revenue stream and continuing to get money from your pocket. Of course, I am not opposed to a company making money, but I am when they do it in the manner Apple does.
To wrap up my rant here, the iPad is not there yet. It is overpriced and limited by the OS and Apple's xenophobic ways. We do think that a good jail break will open it up a lot more and could make one of these worthwhile (with the proper development support and apps). We hope to let you know if the 3G model with 32GB of space is better value sometime in the near future, but we are not sure if we are willing to invest that kind of money again so soon, especially considering that it will be at least $230 more than what we have already spent on the 16GB WiFi one (32GB 3G iPad is $729.00).
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Box and What's Inside]
- Page 3 [The iPad]
- Page 4 [The OS and UI]
- Page 5 [The Stock Apps - Revisited]
- Page 6 [The Stock Apps - Revisited (Cont.)]
- Page 7 [How does it work in practice]
- Page 8 [The Hidden Cost]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Ubisoft's latest 'The Breach' trailer for Rainbow Six: Siege
- Quentin Tarantino explains his love for 70mm, says it trumps digital
- Man gets shot, instead of calling the cops, he grabs an Uber home
- New Fallout 4 mod dramatically overhauls in-game landscapes
- Apple rumored to remove the 3.5mm headphone jack from the next iPhone
- "Cheap" 4K Rig
- wifi card for gigabyte x99m gaming 5 microatx
- Newly built PC won't boot
- Spectre (2015) Cinema Movie Review
- New ASUS Notebook: Event Log flooding with Event ID 17 warnings from WHEA-Logger
- BRAVEN Balance, the Active Lifestyle Bluetooth Speaker Now Available
- COGITO FIT WINS DESIGN FOR ASIA AWARD
- SP/ Silicon Power Announces Flagship CompactFlash Memory Card - Superior CF 1100X Born For Ultimate Performance
- Team Group Announces Neptune Gaming SO-DIMM Memory
- Cooltek Announces the Skall Series ATX Mid-tower Chassis