The Hidden Cost
The iPad we tested here was the 16GB WiFi version. It cost us $499 + tax (just over $53 extra) just to get this. As we mentioned, we needed (to give you a more complete review) to add a few things to this. The first was at least one movie and one iBook. This added roughly another $15 to the cost.
Next, we picked up iWorks; tack on another $30. From there we ended up needing a cover for our iPad as it was getting scratched, not something we wanted on a $500 piece of hardware. The cheapest case was $40. Now, this is the bottom of the barrel iPad. And after one week we are already into it for $637. We have not even picked up any extras like a set of Apple earbuds (another $40 or so), the dock or the camera connectivity kit. We also have not bought more books or movies. We did buy one additional app to allow us to move files a little easier to and from our PC, but that was only $2.99.
So, you can see that even when buying the entry level iPad you can quickly and easily push your out of pocket costs over $1000 in a very short period of time. Make no mistake; the iPad is a revenue generator. It is meant to provide a constant cash flow to Apple in addition to the 50% margin they typically have on their products. So if you are considering this, keep in mind the continuing money stream that you will be sending Apple to keep using it.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Box and What's Inside]
- Page 3 [The iPad]
- Page 4 [The OS and UI]
- Page 5 [The Stock Apps - Revisited]
- Page 6 [The Stock Apps - Revisited (Cont.)]
- Page 7 [How does it work in practice]
- Page 8 [The Hidden Cost]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Lost in Space is coming back, with a 10-episode Netflix reboot
- GIGABYTE teases GeForce GTX 1070 Mini-ITX OC, same size as the R9 Nano
- PowerColor Radeon RX 480 Devil can hit 1.4GHz with triple-fan cooler
- NVIDIA rumored to launch GeForce GTX 1060 next week, will fight RX 480
- AMD's next-gen 'Naples' processor spotted, features 64 CPU threads
- Insight Needed for RAM upgrade issue.
- Doom Graphics Performance Tweak Guide
- Cant overclock RAM
- How will windows 10 affect my D, E and F drives?
- Updated BIOS on E3C226D2I now can't boot from USB
- MSI starring new Polaris-based Radeon RX 480 graphics card
- AMD launches the Radeon Rebellion with the Radeon RX 480 video card, available now
- SAPPHIRE launches next generation Polaris-based Radeon RX 480 video card
- Be Quiet! announces the Dark Base 900 case
- Western Digital launches world's fastest 256GB microSD Card