The Nexus VCT-9000 CPU Cooler
Looking into the translucent, black plastic fan that also houses LED's, we can see it is leaning back quite a bit, but still makes for excellent coverage of the aluminium fins. The shroud is attached with two screws here (bottom), and a couple up top. This does need to be removed for certain installations.
From the side you get a better idea of the overall concept here. Nexus wanted to lean the fan back to triple its functionality. It cools the fins, cools the SkyveTek portion of the heatsink and also provides the motherboard with a bit more air flow than a typical tower cooler. Instead of a plain design, Nexus added flames to the side of it, or is it a seal clapping? Either way, it adds a bit of style to an otherwise plain black shroud.
From the back we can see that Nexus did add a section of extra fin area in the mid-section of the cooler. It should help the center 8mm pipe and the flanking two 6mm pipes on either side. The two screws in the top of the shroud are the others needing to be removed to pull the fan and shroud.
The 120mm, 4-pin PWM connected fan is attached to the shroud with soft plastic, push pin locks. They are secure and keep all rattles at bay. The shroud itself is held in place with the four screws, but also has two o-ring washers under the top two to keep metal to metal contact from happening.
Now things get interesting. Once the shroud is gone, it is very apparent why the fan has a lean to it. Twenty-one fins make up the top, narrowest section, twenty-one in the middle section, and eleven in the bottom section with the V-shaped missing section. Now those take care of what the heatpipes bring up, but what about the base? Nexus used the SkyveTek heatsink mounted to the top of the base for additional pre-cooling.
The SkyveTek cooler is made from a solid piece of aluminium then cut and shaped to make the finished product. Mounting it to the top of the plate where the heatpipes emanate isn't the best solution, but does give heat an alternative source to run to other than the fins. I would like to see this cooler set on top of the pipes directly. I think it would have much greater effect.
All five of the Nickel plated pipes got milled down to bare copper, some more than others. While the outer 6mm pipes are milled pretty much across the entire width of the pipe, the centre 8mm pipe isn't getting as good of contact. These pipes are soldered to the aluminium spacer plate and then the SkyveTek is screwed into place with a bit of thermal compound between the surfaces. These same screws, when loosened just a little bit, also allow for the hardware to be inserted.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 3 [Packaging]
- Page 4 [The Nexus VCT-9000 CPU Cooler]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Nintendo's Super Mario Run mobile game is online-only
- Next iPhone might not be that spectacular after all...
- Samsung confirms Black Pearl; comes with more storage
- Pewdiepie to delete his channel later today
- NASA joins Giphy with almost 500 awesome GIFs
- ASUS Maximus Ranger not detecting my GPU
- x99 Taichi gets WHEA 17 errors and BSOD124
- Dk-q1 / dk-q1h
- asrock 880g pro3 codes E8>54>19
- ADATA SC660 240GB Portable SSD Review
- BIOSTAR announces new motherboard features
- ADATA releases updated SC660H and SV620H 3D NAND external SSDs
- BitFenix announces the Shogun chassis with ASUS Aura support
- Bluetooth 5 specification now available, 4x Range, 2x Speed
- Zadak511 reveals SHIELD Series with RGB DDR4 RAM and RGB SSD