Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 955 (C2 Stepping)
Mainboard ASUS M4A89GTD Pro/USB3 (Supplied by ASUS)
Memory: 4GB Kingston KHX12800D3T1K3/6GX (Supplied by Kingston)
Hard Disk: Kingston SSD Now M (Intel X25-M 80GB SSD) (Supplied by Kingston)
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 5870 1GB (Supplied by AMD)
Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 (with an extra fan) (Supplied by Cooler Master)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Drivers: AMD Catalyst 10.3
As we mentioned earlier, ASUS has used a new connector for the 8-pin aux power. When I first saw it I thought it would be unstable and wobbly, but in use it seemed very solid and easy to use. The reversed RAM slots also seemed to be a bad idea at first, but once again, in practice they may work out better. In some cases it is hard to reach the upper portions of the board, making it a little awkward to uninstall RAM. But with the way the slots and the first PCIe slot are arranged on the M4A90GTD Pro/USB3 you have plenty of room to get your fingers in there.
The SATA ports were another interesting departure that also works out quite well. After all, there are an increasing number of cases that have the HDDs in cages that are 90-drgrees from the motherboard backplane. These new ports will be easier to use with that type of case in mind.
The included SATA 3.0 cables were sort of funny. Although they are very clearly higher quality cables, they offered no noticeable performance gain over the standard ones when connected to a SATA 3.0 HDD.
Last up in our comments is that card we told you about in our Packaging and Contents section. It was an interesting item to see and reminded me of the old SLI bridges that needed to be used. However, we did find that you can run the M4A89GTD Pro/USB3 without it. True, you do drop down to x8 on the PCIe slot, but the performance hit was so small as to be unnoticeable with the HD5870 we used for testing. Still, if you throw a HD5970 on to this board we are sure you would want to have it safely plugged in. Just put it in the top "grey" slot and ignore what it says on the card.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [What's new with the 890GX]
- Page 3 [The Packaging]
- Page 4 [The Motherboard]
- Page 5 [BIOS and Overclocking]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup and Comments]
- Page 7 [Synthetic Tests - Part I]
- Page 8 [Synthetic Tests - Part II]
- Page 9 [Synthetic Tests - Part III]
- Page 10 [Real-World Tests - Part I]
- Page 11 [Real-World Tests - Part II]
- Page 12 [Power Usage and Heat Tests]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Ubisoft focuses on fixing The Division, delays DLC
- Gearbox working on a remastered version of Duke Nukem 3D
- Huawei unveils its new high-end Honor 8 smartphone
- HTC Vive preferred by more VR developers than the Rift
- 'Suicide Squad' creator blasts film critics
- Intel shows Merged Reality Technologies at IDF 2016
- Lenovo ThinkPad P70 Mobile Workstation Notebook Review
- GA-x99 Gaming 5 , Recon3Di audio problem ,windows 8.1 robot sound
- Could be used the both Intel graphics card and Nvidia graphics card at same time on Asus K555LB laptop?
- Asus Zenbook pro ux501vw touchscreen?
- ADATA launches the ultimate SU800SATA 6Gb/s 3D NAND SSD
- CAPE Audio shakes up the headphone industry with the release of Rebellion Headphones
- Tesoro announces ambidextrous, White Sharur SE Spectrum gaming mouse
- Eurocom launches worlds first GTX 1080 SLI VR-Ready laptop
- Thermaltake new Pacific RGB G1/4 PETG Tube 16mm OD 12mm ID 6 liquid-cooling fittings with 1 RGB LED lighting controller