The Vantec NexStar 3 USB 3.0 3.5" Enclosure Card
The beauty of next generation hardware lust is right here. The Vantec logo shines a brilliant blue when power is connected and the rest of the enclosure is piano black with a couple of touches of chrome. Put together, the enclosure looks very nice, but chances are after a couple of trips the small scratches made from other items rubbing up against it will show.
The top of the enclosure is very reflective. We had to get some finger prints on it just to be able to take a picture that wasn't like a mirror reflecting the photo.
Now we are getting to the good stuff. On the back of the enclosure we have the power plug, switch and USB 3.0 cable connector. If you are in a bind you can use a USB 2.0 cable on USB 3.0 ports, but you will only get 2.0 speeds. Plugging in the power cable requires looking at the plug and port since they need to be aligned.
On the inside we see all of the tech goodies. The three pin connector is for plugging in the front blue LED. If you don't like a bunch of blue lights sitting on your desk, you can forgo using the plug, but you will then have to feel for vibration to see if the drive is on.
One thing we have noticed a lot recently on drive sleds for enclosures, NAS and DAS products is the inclusion of mounting locations for 2.5 inch form factor drives. Here we see that Vantec did not include them. With the market going this direction, it would have been nice to see a few extra holes for 2.5 inch drives.
Vantec includes a nice quality USB 3.0 cable with the enclosure and here we also see the power brick. The shape of the power brick is a little odd. It will work perfectly on a wall socket, but when used on most power strips it will need to go at the end to not block another plug.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 3 [The Packaging]
- Page 4 [The Vantec 2-Port SuperSpeed USB 3.0 PCIe Host Card]
- Page 5 [The Vantec NexStar 3 USB 3.0 3.5" Enclosure]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - HD Tune Pro]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Everest Random Access Time]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - AS SSD Benchmarks]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- AMD Ryzen ThreadRipper features next-gen packaging
- Bethesda sale: $13 Doom, cheap ESO and more
- PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds continues titanic growth
- Next-gen Hololens to have custom AI chip
- The OnePlus 5 8GB now available for immediate dispatch
- GIGABYTE X299 AORUS Gaming 7 Motherboard Review
- Comic-Con 2017 trailer round-up: MCU vs DCEU vs the rest
- graphics card not detected via riser cable
- Maximum ratio (x39) with 4,06GHz for i7 4770 on GA Z87X-UD3H?
- Supermicro SuperO Booster Software Guide
- Atari announces Blade Runner 2049 partnership with NECA and Audiowear, launching wearable technology that blurs the line between fashion and future
- BIOSTAR introduces the world's first 8-slot PCI-e mining motherboard with the TB250-BTC+
- HyperX unveils HyperX Alloy Elite and TKL HyperX Alloy FPS Pro mechanical gaming keyboards
- Toshiba Memory Corporation develops world's first 3D flash memory with TSV technology
- ADATA releases XPG GAMMIX line with S10 PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe 1.2 SSD and D10 DDR4