As you can see in the benchmarks, the race for equal speed between USB 3.0 and SATA 3G is still underway when it comes to USB 3.0 add-in boards. When we tested the Buffalo Technology DriveStation USB 3.0 on the GIGABYTE P55A-UD4P we didn't run into a ceiling while testing. Over the next few months we will see several new USB 3.0 controllers, enclosures and motherboards and get all of our data graphed so you can make an informed decision on what to purchase when the time is right.
The Vantec 2-Port SuperSpeed USB 3.0 PCIe Host Card is a neat little product that has potential, but not at its current going rate at Newegg. If you have a motherboard that is filled with several add-in cards and need something to fit in a small space, the card is the perfect solution and the price may be justified out of necessity. For everyone else who can use a larger card, you can find other products that cost half as much as the Vantec 2-Port SuperSpeed USB 3.0 PCIe Host Card and some that offer more features, but with only a 10 USD price difference. We would really like to see the Vantec Host Card at a 15 to 20 USD price point and given the small amount of components needed to make the card, it may just be possible.
The Vantec NexStar 3 is a very nice USB 3.0 enclosure that is small enough for travel and will satisfy the performance needs of most users when paired with the right adapter card or motherboard. We are going to hold onto the NexStar 3 one more day and get some tests on the new Storage Product Workstation motherboard that will be here in a few hours, the GIGABYTE X58A-UD7. As we get closer to the release of the retail product, we will know more about pricing and be able to make a final judgment as to its overall value.
Since we do not officially score prototype hardware, the following scoring is just for the Vantec 2-Port SuperSpeed USB 3.0 PCIe Host Card.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 3 [The Packaging]
- Page 4 [The Vantec 2-Port SuperSpeed USB 3.0 PCIe Host Card]
- Page 5 [The Vantec NexStar 3 USB 3.0 3.5" Enclosure]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - HD Tune Pro]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Everest Random Access Time]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - AS SSD Benchmarks]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- ARM announces new CPUs and GPU at Computex 2017
- ASUS leaks its own Strix X299-E motherboard
- You've less than 7 days to enter our 'Rings' giveaway!
- NVIDIA rumored to unveil Volta-based GeForce tomorrow
- X299 AORUS Gaming 9 teased, ready for 12C/24T CPUs
- Asrock X99 Extreme11 reports only 48GB instead of 64 GB
- H270m Pro4 Can't boot with my SSD, stuck on splash
- Gigabyte z170 UD5: Question about Voltage Spikes/Offset
- ASRock AliveXFire-esata2 compatibility with Phenom II X4 980
- m4a88td-m/usb3 & Windows 10
- Qualcomm fuels IoT growth by currently delivering more than 1 million chips a day into a wide range of connected applications
- Team Group announces theme for COMPUTEX 2017 showcase: go beyond the limit and reach for the top
- SAPPHIRE announces PULSE Radeon RX 560 graphics card
- ELITEGROUP computer to stand out at Computex for its smart campus deployment, robotic technology, education laptops, tablets, mini PC, and motherboards
- ADATA Shares a Symphony of Technology at Computex 2017