The race to USB 3.0 has been fast and furious. When GIGABYTE and ASUS launched their revised P55 motherboards that supported the new SuperSpeed USB 3.0 protocol, it was like dropping the green flag at the 500 Mile Race. Since then everyone has been quickly gathering the needed personnel and equipment to get their own USB 3.0 device on store shelves. CES proved that the race was far from over and that a leader has yet to be crowned. At the show we saw more prototypes than retail ready products. Buffalo Technology picked up an early lead when they launched their DriveStation HD-HXU3 in Japan with other markets seeing availability soon after, but 500 miles is a long way to go.
Enthusiasts are the early adapters and most don't want a drive with their enclosure when it costs over 300 USD. These users already have piles of hard drives and see little need for an all-in-one solution. Toaster products like the Sharkoon QuickPort USB 3.0 are nice for product reviewers and those that never need to travel with a high speed data device, but the system lacks portability and is a high security risk for bleeding edge business users. What the world needs is an external USB 3.0 enclosure that is durable, has a low cost of ownership and is portable.
Just before CES we were made aware of an incoming package from Vantec. Instead of bogging us down with a sit down meeting where we could go over performance graphs, pie charts and a bunch of nonsense that you guys wouldn't want to read even if you were stuck at your in-laws all weekend, Vantec has done us all a favor and just shipped over their latest products. In our package we received a PCIe USB 3.0 controller card (PN: UGT-PC302) and the latest prototype of the soon to be released NexStar 3 SuperSpeed (PN: NST-280S3-BK).
The USB 3.0 PCIe Host Controller is a two port device that is so small that it may just fit GIGABYTE's X58A-UD7 with the massive heat sink installed. This card uses a single PCIe lane and uses the NEC USB 3.0 controller that is the standard for USB 3.0 connectivity at this time. The Vantec host card is already on the shelves at Newegg and other retail / e-tail locations.
The Vantec NexStar 3 SuperSpeed appears more like a retail unit than a prototype. The only thing that gives it away is the white box that it was shipped in. Everything inside of the box appears to be ready to go, so I don't think we will have to wait too long for retail availability. The NexStar 3 SuperSpeed is even listed on Vantec's website, but a Coming Soon label is also listed.
Let's take a look at Vantec's USB 3.0 solutions.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 3 [The Packaging]
- Page 4 [The Vantec 2-Port SuperSpeed USB 3.0 PCIe Host Card]
- Page 5 [The Vantec NexStar 3 USB 3.0 3.5" Enclosure]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - HD Tune Pro]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Everest Random Access Time]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - AS SSD Benchmarks]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Disney developing 'Rocketeer' sequel
- Free multiplayer modes coming to Doom tomorrrow, Deathmatch later on
- EA's Origin client is getting a new look, currently in beta
- Unlock new career paths with an in-demand tech certification
- Nintendo successfully patents external console upgrade box
- Antec GX505 Window SC Mid-Tower Chassis Review
- PW-IE20AH51T0 compatible with PC-G70 ?
- D-Link DIR-879 EXO AC1900 Wireless Router Review
- Asrock z77 Extreme 6 Ram Overclocking Stuck at 2000mhz
- MDD BP5e 480GB M.2 SATA III SSD Review
- Polaris Nitro-charged - introducing the SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX 480
- AccelStor debuting NeoSapphire 3706-ES1 at Flash Memory Summit 2016
- Elitegroup ceremoniously launches ECS H110S-2P mini-STX motherboard and the all-new LIVA Pro Mini PC
- MSI announces custom GeForce GTX 1060 graphics cards
- Seagate unveils the industry's broadest 10TB portfolio