HD Tune Pro
HD Tune is a Hard Disk utility which has the following functions:
- Benchmark: measures the performance
- Info: shows detailed information
- Health: checks the health status by using SMART
- Error Scan: scans the surface for errors
- Temperature display
HD Tune Pro gives us accurate read, write and access time results and for the last couple of years has been gaining popularity amongst reviewers. It is now considered a must have application for storage device testing.
If you think there is a lot of data here, you are right! I had to hold myself back from making massive charts since we have 3x more data that didn't even make it to the charts.
Starting off small with the JBOD 15K.7 drives at the bottom; here we see how SAS 2.0 helps the LSI controller run the ultra fast 15K.7 at full speed. The Adaptec 5805Z is holding the drive back since it only supports SAS 1.0. So in the single drive test the 5805Z is a little off beat in the all so important average score for JBOD SAS 2.0 drives.
Moving onto the 2D (Drive) R (RAID) 0 15K.7 numbers, here we see similar results, just magnified by the additional drive.
The 3D R0 test shows a completely different picture. With three drives the LSI controller fails to scale up while the Adaptec 5805Z gets a boost from the additional drive. The LSI controller has an adaptive cache feature that at times goes against itself in synthetic tests. The 3D R5 numbers also show the Adaptec 5805Z reading data faster than the LSI.
In the large 8D arrays we see the 5805Z once again reading data faster than the LSI 9620-8i.
The cache found on both of the discrete controllers in JBOD increases the write speed and puts them far ahead of the ASUS onboard Marvell solution. In these tests we see nearly identical numbers from the controllers.
Scaling the array to two drives in R0, we once again see the LSI 9260-8I taking the early lead by making use of the extra headroom given from SAS 2.0 with the 15K.7. At 3D the LSI once again stumbles and the 5805Z moves ahead. In the 3D R5 tests we see the 5805Z scaling well again while the LSI just kind of hovers.
In the large array we see the two controllers split the benchmark results with the R0 going to LSI and the R5 going to Adaptec.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 3 [The Packaging]
- Page 4 [The Adaptec 5805Z]
- Page 5 [Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - HD Tune Pro]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Passmark]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Get Trained (and Certified) in Cloud Computing for $39
- Take to the campaign trail with The Political Machine 2016
- Rise of the Tomb Raider's latest patch improves HBAO+, and more
- Twitter has shut down over 125,000 accounts for promoting terrorism
- Google AI, Go champ match will be broadcast live on YouTube in March
- The Hateful Eight (2015) Cinema Movie Review
- SSD compatibility
- ASrock z170 extreme 7+ Post code 00
- Apacer Panther DDR4-2666 16GB Dual-Channel Memory Kit Review
- Gigabyte GA-x79-UP4 rev1.0
- ESL Hearthstone Legendary Series returns to IntelÃ'Â® Extreme Masters Katowice 2016
- HIDEO KOJIMA AND GUILLERMO DEL TORO CONFIRMED AS D.I.C.E. SUMMIT KEYNOTE SPEAKERS
- Toshiba Introduces the Next Generation OCZ Trion 150 Series Solid-State Drive Series
- Thermaltake Kicks Off 2016 MFC (Modding Fighting Championship)
- AMD Offers New Thermal Solutions and New Processors for Reliable, Near-Silent Performance