HD Tune Pro
HD Tune is a Hard Disk utility which has the following functions:
- Benchmark: measures the performance
- Info: shows detailed information
- Health: checks the health status by using SMART
- Error Scan: scans the surface for errors
- Temperature display
HD Tune Pro gives us accurate read, write and access time results and for the last couple of years has been gaining popularity amongst reviewers. It is now considered a must have application for storage device testing.
If you think there is a lot of data here, you are right! I had to hold myself back from making massive charts since we have 3x more data that didn't even make it to the charts.
Starting off small with the JBOD 15K.7 drives at the bottom; here we see how SAS 2.0 helps the LSI controller run the ultra fast 15K.7 at full speed. The Adaptec 5805Z is holding the drive back since it only supports SAS 1.0. So in the single drive test the 5805Z is a little off beat in the all so important average score for JBOD SAS 2.0 drives.
Moving onto the 2D (Drive) R (RAID) 0 15K.7 numbers, here we see similar results, just magnified by the additional drive.
The 3D R0 test shows a completely different picture. With three drives the LSI controller fails to scale up while the Adaptec 5805Z gets a boost from the additional drive. The LSI controller has an adaptive cache feature that at times goes against itself in synthetic tests. The 3D R5 numbers also show the Adaptec 5805Z reading data faster than the LSI.
In the large 8D arrays we see the 5805Z once again reading data faster than the LSI 9620-8i.
The cache found on both of the discrete controllers in JBOD increases the write speed and puts them far ahead of the ASUS onboard Marvell solution. In these tests we see nearly identical numbers from the controllers.
Scaling the array to two drives in R0, we once again see the LSI 9260-8I taking the early lead by making use of the extra headroom given from SAS 2.0 with the 15K.7. At 3D the LSI once again stumbles and the 5805Z moves ahead. In the 3D R5 tests we see the 5805Z scaling well again while the LSI just kind of hovers.
In the large array we see the two controllers split the benchmark results with the R0 going to LSI and the R5 going to Adaptec.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 3 [The Packaging]
- Page 4 [The Adaptec 5805Z]
- Page 5 [Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - HD Tune Pro]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Passmark]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Deus Ex: Mankind Divided scheduled for Feb. 23, 2016 launch
- Konami: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain is 'stunning' on PC
- New $499 Elite Xbox One model sports 1TB SSDHD, Elite controller
- Destiny: The Taken King's raid won't be live upon release
- Save Up to 96% On August's Top 3 Deals
- USB 3.0 header availability for PC-C37?
- Clean install windows 10 after being an insider
- Corsair Hydro H110i GTX High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler Review
- H97 boards, graphics cards and CPUs running hotter than on Z97 boards
- New network adapter making graphics card fail.
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015
- SilverStone Accessories - Expansion Cards - ECM20