Specifications, Availability and Pricing
When it comes to the software, Adaptec has you covered with drivers for most operating systems including some of the more obscure ones. One that Adaptec has always excelled is with their management software that gives the users complete control over the adapter. The software is called Adaptec Storage Manager and it is one of the best in the business.
As far as the 5805Z hardware goes, the controller itself has been around for a couple of years now and has been considered one of the best available while at the same time delivering some of the highest performance numbers in review after review.
What makes the 5805Z fresh is the new cache protection system that uses an array of capacitors instead of an expensive battery that would otherwise need to be replaced every year. The new system is called Zero-Maintenance Cache Protection.
Over a five year period you would have to replace a standard battery four times. With a typical battery costing 150 USD (and that is on the low side), that means you will spend 600 USD after your initial purchase and raise your total cost of ownership. Add in the cost of sending a technician four times to the server closet and the hassle of downtime and you can start to see the value offered by the Z-Series.
The rest of the hardware that makes up the 5805Z is just as impressive, but has a few drawbacks when compared to newer product that takes advantage of the latest and greatest in storage technology. The 1.2 GHz dual core RAID on Chip (ROC) controller may be hitting middle age in computer years, but it is still one of the fastest offered today. The 512 MB cache is also a nice touch, but it is onboard and not user replaceable or upgradable.
The last piece of technology that the 5805Z holds onto that other companies are starting to move away from is PCIe 1.0. The 5805Z uses eight PCIe 1.0 lanes while the new LSI and Intel RAID controllers are already using PCIe 2.0 technology. We will see how this plays out today when we put the 5805Z up against the LSI 9260-8I, head to head style.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 3 [The Packaging]
- Page 4 [The Adaptec 5805Z]
- Page 5 [Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - HD Tune Pro]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Passmark]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Acer is welcoming a takeover of the company after share prices tumble
- HTC will have a 'limited number' of Vive VR headsets this year
- Microsoft announces that Forza Motorsport 6 has gone gold
- It looks like there were only 12,000 'real' women on Ashley Madison
- Tomb Raider goes mobile with turn-based puzzle game 'Lara Croft Go'
- Buffalo WXR-1900DHP DD-WRT NXT AC1900 Wireless Router Review
- ASRock Extreme4 x99 boot failure with more than 2 G.SKILL F4-3000C15D-16GRBB
- [Share]Lorkag GOP updater tool for AMD and NVIDIA VBIOS
- AMD Radeon R9 Nano Preview - Fiji and HBM Go Under the Shrink Ray
- Win7 wont install on AM1A-M system
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015
- SilverStone Accessories - Expansion Cards - ECM20