Performance and How it Works
As we've mentioned, the Powermat charging system works on Nikola Tesla's principle of magnetic induction. But while this is the mechanism for the transfer of power to the device, there are other items at work.
One of the first items is the most simple and part of the actual workings of the charging mechanism. This is the magnets that are in both the receiver and the pad. These will connect and hold the two together in the proper alignment and also help to maintain good and solid contact between the two.
Once the magnetic contact is made, the receiver sends a signal to the pad identifying the device. This RFID handshake helps with charging efficiency. Once the RFID handshake is successful you will hear an audible confirmation and an LED on the side of the pad will light.
From there the receiver and pad will maintain the charging connection until the device sends a signal saying that it is full. Once the battery is full the Powermat will shut off power and enter a listening mode. In this mode it will check the charge level of the device and begin charging again if it detects the battery has been used.
The upshot of all of this is that the Powermat pair (receiver and pad) are very efficient. They are able to charge almost as fast as the regular wired adapters while lowering the amount of power drawn from the wall.
In our testing we found that the iPhone 3G S would charge from a drained battery only two minutes slower than the traditional corded charge and as much as ten minutes faster than charging the iPhone from a USB port.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Microsoft announces that Forza Motorsport 6 has gone gold
- It looks like there were only 12,000 'real' women on Ashley Madison
- Tomb Raider goes mobile with turn-based puzzle game 'Lara Croft Go'
- Dell unveils a new 27-inch QHD G-Sync monitor, priced at $799
- 'The Iron Giant' theatrical re-release gets first trailer
- Buffalo WXR-1900DHP DD-WRT NXT AC1900 Wireless Router Review
- ASRock Extreme4 x99 boot failure with more than 2 G.SKILL F4-3000C15D-16GRBB
- [Share]Lorkag GOP updater tool for AMD and NVIDIA VBIOS
- AMD Radeon R9 Nano Preview - Fiji and HBM Go Under the Shrink Ray
- Win7 wont install on AM1A-M system
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015
- SilverStone Accessories - Expansion Cards - ECM20