Performance and How it Works
As we've mentioned, the Powermat charging system works on Nikola Tesla's principle of magnetic induction. But while this is the mechanism for the transfer of power to the device, there are other items at work.
One of the first items is the most simple and part of the actual workings of the charging mechanism. This is the magnets that are in both the receiver and the pad. These will connect and hold the two together in the proper alignment and also help to maintain good and solid contact between the two.
Once the magnetic contact is made, the receiver sends a signal to the pad identifying the device. This RFID handshake helps with charging efficiency. Once the RFID handshake is successful you will hear an audible confirmation and an LED on the side of the pad will light.
From there the receiver and pad will maintain the charging connection until the device sends a signal saying that it is full. Once the battery is full the Powermat will shut off power and enter a listening mode. In this mode it will check the charge level of the device and begin charging again if it detects the battery has been used.
The upshot of all of this is that the Powermat pair (receiver and pad) are very efficient. They are able to charge almost as fast as the regular wired adapters while lowering the amount of power drawn from the wall.
In our testing we found that the iPhone 3G S would charge from a drained battery only two minutes slower than the traditional corded charge and as much as ten minutes faster than charging the iPhone from a USB port.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Take to the campaign trail with The Political Machine 2016
- Rise of the Tomb Raider's latest patch improves HBAO+, and more
- Twitter has shut down over 125,000 accounts for promoting terrorism
- Google AI, Go champ match will be broadcast live on YouTube in March
- Fable Legends will use foliage physics to increase visual fidelity
- ASrock z170 extreme 7+ Post code 00
- Apacer Panther DDR4-2666 16GB Dual-Channel Memory Kit Review
- Gigabyte GA-x79-UP4 rev1.0
- Help with N56VB notebook screen
- Intel MOBO with Fast POST boot time
- HIDEO KOJIMA AND GUILLERMO DEL TORO CONFIRMED AS D.I.C.E. SUMMIT KEYNOTE SPEAKERS
- Toshiba Introduces the Next Generation OCZ Trion 150 Series Solid-State Drive Series
- Thermaltake Kicks Off 2016 MFC (Modding Fighting Championship)
- AMD Offers New Thermal Solutions and New Processors for Reliable, Near-Silent Performance
- Thermaltake and First Green Partner Aria PC Technology Join to Promote the Smart Power Management (SPM) Platform