Motherboard: GIGABYTE X58-UD7 (Supplied by GIGABYTE)
Processors: Intel Core i7 975 (Supplied by AVADirect)
Hard Drive: Intel X25-M 80GB SSD (Gen1) SATA-II
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit with latest updates
Drivers: NEC USB 3.0 1.0170
We decided to test the Sharkoon USB 3.0 toaster with the provided Sharkoon NEC USB 3.0 controller card as well as plugged into one of the USB 3.0 ports on the new GIGABYTE X58-UD7 motherboard that uses the same NEC controller chip as the Sharkoon controller card. Results should be similar, but we wanted to find out for sure.
We installed an Intel X25-M 80GB SSD (Gen1) SATA-II drive into the toaster to get an idea of both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 performance. To test USB 2.0 performance, we used the exact same setup as USB 3.0 except plugged the USB 3.0 cable in from the device to one of the USB 2.0 ports on the GIGABYTE UD7 motherboard.
Testing was not trouble free, though. After some extensive testing, we have determined that due to the age and use of the Intel SSD that we are using here, there are some write performance issues under HD Tune Pro. It is important to note that this is not an issue with the Sharkoon toaster or controller card or the GIGABYTE motherboard. Above you can see a write test screenshot from HD Tune Pro. Normally the writes would not drop down to 0.2MB/s.
Let's begin on the next page now and find out how this thing performs!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- AMD Ryzen 7 1800X hits #1 best-selling CPUs on Amazon
- AMD breaking world records with Ryzen 7 1800X already
- 'Rogue One' Blu-ray announced, extras detailed
- I want one: AMD Ryzen CPU review kit looks AMAZING
- NVIDIA to reveal GeForce GTX 1080 Ti on February 28
- ASUS MAXIMUS IX FORMULA A2 Error Code with Hardware Component Failure Beeps
- Does anyone from Thermaltake view this forum anymore?
- Is any one from Thermaltake viewing this forum anymore?
- Lian Li A61 5.25 devices
- Z270 Supercarrier - blackscreen 09/d0, cannot switch to backup BIOS
- Innovation and competition return to high-performance PCs March 2nd with worldwide AMD Ryzen 7 availability
- Final Fantasy awarded Guinness World Records title for most prolific role-playing game
- InstaVR launches publishing compatibility with HTC VIVE, cnabling companies to create high quality long-form VR video applications
- Transcend announces Ultimate UHS Video Speed Class 30 (V30) microSD cards to support 4K Ultra HD video recording
- Final Fantasy XIV Fan Fest culminates with the journey eastward in Stormblood