Installation and Finished Product
Same torture victim as my last run.
Once the stock cooler is removed and the IC's and chips all cleaned, the rubbed with an eraser, I think I am ready to assemble the TTP. I have started by laying the template in place that will guide installation of the long RAM sink.
The tab at the top of the template is made to represent where the heat pipes will pass through this heat sink. So installing it with the location of those in mind now should help save some anguish down the line.
Here she is all done up and ready to install the cooling half, I really don't need to apply heat sinks to the right end of the card, as temperatures of my power management are very acceptable even passive. Hey, if they supply them, why not use them!
I will tell you this, getting the cooler in place turned out to be more of a chore than I expected. The 3M tape held the spacers in place nicely, and getting the holes to line up wasn't tough either. The issue I had was with the long RAM sink. Even after using the template, I found the heat pipes would still knock the sink off every time I tried to install the cooler. I tried five separate times before I finally gave up. I think one less fin on either side of the middle section would allow me to have fit the cooler much easier.
From the side you can tell there is plenty of room to clear the top of the RAM sinks and the cooler clears all the capacitors and other vital components of the card.
Looking at it from the end you will see through your case window, you can see I went ahead and did the testing without the long RAM sink in place. Once again, as with the power management, my memory chips don't get hot under testing, so the RAM sink won't make any difference on my card of choice. I would have liked it to stay in place, but let's continue on and see what she can do without it.
Like I said, the 4-pin connection on the wiring will allow you to plug the TTP right into a fully controllable 4-pin header on your card. For the sake of testing I will run the card this way and with both ends of the adapter supplied with this cooler.
One thing Arctic Cooling overlooked in the design was allowing room for the optical cabling on the 9800GTX+. This little cable takes the green LED light from the PCB and allows users to see it in the back. A little bit of work with a small set of needle nosed pliers took care of this issue in about two minutes time.
Orienting the card and cooler so it will show as you will see it during use, I wanted to cover two points. The first point is the limited flex of the PCB. I have had some coolers lately that flexed my PCB into a taco-like shape, and that scares me a bit. Not with the Twin Turbo Pro. This PCB is flat and true. The second thing I wanted to cover is that the cooler once installed will take up three full slots, so be sure ahead of time you have plenty of room to sound cards or the other GPU in your rig.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Acer shows off Chromebook R 11, a convertible Chromebook
- Vantage Robotics shows off Snap, a safe drone with a 4K camera
- Star Wars: Battlefront won't have server browsers on PC
- We are looking for a professional YouTuber for video content
- Digitize Photos, Important Files, and More in 8 Seconds
- Seagate Backup Plus STDA4000100 4TB External Portable HDD Review
- GA-Z97X Gaming 7 + Samsung SM951 256 gb
- SanDisk Connect Stick 64GB Wireless Flash Drive Review
- GA-EP45-UD3R doesn't boot with Dual Channel (After Clean PC)
- carvedilol 3.125 mg information. Purchase online.
- SEAGATE DELIVERS INDUSTRY'S BROADEST PORTFOLIO OF 8TB HARD DRIVES
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015